Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spider mites and Neem...

2 posters

Go down

Spider mites and Neem... Empty Spider mites and Neem...

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:45 am

Hello its been a while since I last posted but I have been a tad distracted but let me press on. I bought an interesting Japanese or it could be Chinese Maple this spring from wally woo any way, It was interesting and cheap being the operative word here. Its been two months and it seems to not be growing well and the tips of the leaves seem like they are singed looking. Now remember this tree was at wally woo and much abused but I loved the way it looked and I wanted to start a maple. However my sister said it had spider mites and I thought ok... I had been thinking that the grower put too much fertilizer in it as there are quite a few of the slow release pellets on the surface. It is growing but it is so slow considering how it was at first I thought it would have larger leaves and I am wanting it to do well this summer. I alternate it from sun to shade periodically but generally have it in partial shade/sun on the patio. I water it about every other day unless it gets too hot and I check my soil with my finger. The mites though have made me think it could be suffering more than where I can see it so I thought I would ask here. The Neem has been suggested and I will give it a try if it is recommended again.

I just don't want my tree to be in limbo all summer then be, heck I don't know what lol... I would have thought to have had more growth than now so with these two issues I am dumping it on the table here. I don't have a picture of it just now but I can if needed. It also has another tree growing in the same pot but I didn't want to attempt to remove it till this winter when they are dormant. Feel free to email me if you need to. Thanks in advance for your help with this noobie Smile

Arklady

Back to top Go down

Spider mites and Neem... Empty Re: Spider mites and Neem...

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 am

Sounds like normal summer heat stress to me. Maples tend to be understory trees and really don't like strong sun, heat and humidity. My Florida Maples are really beginning to show this stress, they will totally defoliate at least once each summer from the stress. Don't push the tree, just like you it doesn't want to do a lot of work in the heat. You could do the stand mite test of a white piece of paper under the leaves tap them and look at the stuff that collects on the paper, if the stuff moves you have bugs, if it doesn't you are OK. You could move the tree to some light shade and that might help but I am afraid that the signs of stress will just get worse as the summer progresses.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 am

I believe neem oil should not be used with Japanese maples anyway...
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:36 am

Not having time to get any thing to medicate it the other night we had a passing rain shower and I stuck it out in the rain where it would get soaked and I was amazed to see how well it looked after the soaking. I think possibly I will soak it at least once a week that would help. I couldn't see any sign of bugs on it. Still going to keep a close eye on it though. If I see any other signs of stress then I will try to keep it under control. How often should I fertilize it.

Thanks,

Arklady

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:51 am

I am bothered by your "stuck it out in the rain" comment. Where has the tree been living? It must be outdoors in a shaded area with good air movement.

Any , balanced, houseplant fert will be fine, it should have NPK plus trace elements.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Smile sorry what I meant by stuck is... I moved it from under the corner of the patio where it was getting partial shade and a bit of protection from the sun. I move it from under that corner because it was a southerly corner and the rain was from the north and missing the tree entirely. We had hail a few days before and I didn't want it hit by that which is why it was under the patio awning. I generally have the tree sitting half in and half out of the sun under the patio awning. I rotate it every few days just so it grows properly but this had been the first rain for several days and I wanted to take full advantage of it. I will see what fert I have that has the proper requirements you suggested. Now the tree used to have a tag on it but some where between when I bought it and now I seem to have lost it soooo I will take a picture. I was waiting for a proper leave to pop out and grow, but I will get a pic soon.

Arklady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down