Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spider Mites on Junipers

+2
Poink88
Billy M. Rhodes
6 posters

Go down

Spider Mites on Junipers Empty Spider Mites on Junipers

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm

We had a club workshop on Tuesday evening where member brought a tree to be worked by Visiting Master Rodney Clemons. Three of four Junipers brought in had Spider Mites.
I have looked at the UofF web sites and found a long list of chemicals that are supposed to be effective, but translating that to products on the self for those without a commercial applicators license I only found Bayer Advance 3 in 1 to have imidacloprid one of the recommended chemicals.
I also called our local Ag office and they recommended a home remedy.
One gallon of Water
2 1/2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (not olive)
2 1/2 Tablespoons of baby shampoo
2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda can be added to fight fungus
Shake well
Spray thoroughly
Keep plant in the shade
Wash with clear water after 24 hours.
Repeat in 5 to 7 days
Continue as needed to control
Fertilizer with a seaweed based product.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Spider Mites on Junipers Empty Re: Spider Mites on Junipers

Post  Poink88 Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Seems like exactly how Neem oil is prepared too (but dishwashing liquid is usually suggested instead of shampoo). Did they mention anything about sun exposure while being treated?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote: I only found Bayer Advance 3 in 1 to have imidacloprid one of the recommended chemicals.
Billy,

I thought imidacloprid usually causes spider mite outbreak? (the reverse) Can you verify your source?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 pm

I've only had one outbreak of spider mites, and I cured that with a simple HARD blast of water into the canopy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Poink88 wrote:Seems like exactly how Neem oil is prepared too (but dishwashing liquid is usually suggested instead of shampoo). Did they mention anything about sun exposure while being treated?

"Keep in shade"
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Poink88 wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote: I only found Bayer Advance 3 in 1 to have imidacloprid one of the recommended chemicals.
Billy,

I thought imidacloprid usually causes spider mite outbreak? (the reverse) Can you verify your source?

I am corrected. The Bayer 3 in 1 does say it will kill Spider Mites, but the U of F site does not recommend it.

My mistake was doing some cut and paste.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I am corrected. The Bayer 3 in 1 does say it will kill Spider Mites, but the U of F site does not recommend it.
Billy, I bet it is another active kills the spider mites not the imidacloprid.

Re: shade while treating with oil based solution...that is very critical, otherwise the leaves may fry and cause more problem than the spider mites themselves.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I've only had spider mites twice. I mix up some nicotine sulfate with water and spray the whole tree. It killed them dead.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Poink88 wrote:

Re: shade while treating with oil based solution...that is very critical, otherwise the leaves may fry and cause more problem than the spider mites themselves.

i think it is the effects of UV in sunlight that render the active ingredients inactive so they dont actually work - rather than making a deep fried tree branch - between you guys and the Scottish everything gets fried !! Very Happy and smothered in cheese............now i am hungry Laughing

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Bifenthrin (a systemic) will do the trick. I think this us still available in US Billy ? Sadly it isn't available to the amateur anymore in the UK.

This should do the trick too (good old Malathion) http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod180018&itemId=cat50080

Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down