Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17"

4 posters

Go down

the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Empty the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17"

Post  marcus watts Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi,
this was a bit of fun - back in 1997 i bought this garden juniper when i knew no better ! Very Happy (it was the first juniper i ever had too thinking about it)
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00422

over the years I made some pads ! Rolling Eyes , tilted it up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes even chopped it up the middle with a chain saw after i got kimuras book !! Laughing
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00510the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00610

Few years ago i bent it quite drastically to see if it would go, and left one little branch to grow.........
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00119

And today was a wet day and Mandy has gone to her Mums for the week so I bought everything into the living room Twisted Evil Twisted Evil and sat watching farscape while putting a bit of wire on Very Happy .....I quite like it now, and would never have forseen 15 years ago getting the 5ft 'root to tip' original tree into a compact 17" tall

the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00318

Now how does the hoover (vacuum) work??? Laughing

cheers Marcus

edit: here is the evolution
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Untitl13
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Empty Re: the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17"

Post  ItalianCopper Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey, impressive progression, this compacted tree looks very nice, but to be honest - for me it started to look like many other trees. On the very first stages of it's "bonsai path" Your tree have had so much personality. I mean, on this photo the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00510 - it reminds me old pines from where I live.
Don't feel offended, it's a matter of taste I think. I am rather a fan of naturalistic style in bonsai Smile

cheers, Mateusz

ItalianCopper

Back to top Go down

the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Empty Re: the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17"

Post  Orion Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Really nice progression Marcus. You made some seriously bold moves with it and it has come out well.

Last edited by Orion on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

ItalianCopper wrote:Hey, impressive progression, this compacted tree looks very nice, but to be honest - for me it started to look like many other trees. On the very first stages of it's "bonsai path" Your tree have had so much personality. I mean, on this photo the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" 00510 - it reminds me old pines from where I live.
Don't feel offended, it's a matter of taste I think. I am rather a fan of naturalistic style in bonsai Smile

cheers, Mateusz

hi Mateusz, absolutely no offence taken, thanks for taking the time to comment - i think 15 years ago that design was cutting edge for the day and was pretty ok - but the big long straight line looked so wrong, and so 2 dimensional - there was no movement.

you are rtotally right about taste and preference..... I must admit I absolutely love the modern compact japanese style of current years - as you say they are easily found ..... in photos on the internet at least......but as actual bonsai trees you can find for real they are not all that common (not here in the UK anyway). The real tree is a bit more interesting than the picture too, as the depth of field has all the concertina curves of the trunk.
The pines where you live sound incredible - you are lucky to have such inspiring trees around you

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  ItalianCopper Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 am

You are right, trees like that can be seen quite often, but generally in the internet.
Also, it's fairly possible that I would change my opinion if I saw the tree in reality, photo is 2D, tree isn't.
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Sokolica
Here's the most famous pine from the place I live in. it's the one on sokolica mountain Smile I have also seen a lot of pines like that on the trip to Croatia - btw fantastic country Very Happy
cheers

ItalianCopper

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 am

that pine is excelent.............i can instantly see how the early juniper image reminded you of it.

nice picture, cheers

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 am

marcus watts wrote:

edit: here is the evolution
the concertina - 5ft juniper to 17" Untitl13

I can clearly see the evolution of our bonsai trees here....As we get older even the same tree that used to be huge will shrink and shrink and shrink...If you can still post here marcus on your 90th Birthday, I won't be surprise to see a nice shohin out of this tree.hehehe.

Nice compaction!!!

regards,
jun Smile Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:38 am

jun wrote:As we get older even the same tree that used to be huge will shrink and shrink and shrink...If you can still post here marcus on your 90th Birthday, I won't be surprise to see a nice shohin out of this tree.hehehe.

Nice compaction!!!

hahahahaah, briliant, yes Jun you are right they do shrink as we age, both in our eyes and sometimes for real.

affraid 90yrs old What a Face that would be cool, i think all my trees will be shohin before then - unless i can have a team of helpers !

best wishes, Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 am

technically it is very impressive marcus Shocked
but esthetically ...i am a little bit like mateusz Laughing
i love the second step(what did you put on the living vein to make it black like this? i like this) and also the third
but i think you ve loose some movement and graphism in the last step

the final tree is nice also...but maybe a little bit too compact to see the nice curves of your trunk
anyway good work ..as usually
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:43 am

Hi,

yes I am also aware that lots of the trunk movement is not visible in a picture from this exact front, but I was trying to balance seeing the living vein on the left and seeing the rest of the tree, but totally agree, the front angle is leaving some nice bits hidden, it needs a 3.5 stage Very Happy (I may carve right through the trunk in a spiralling curve one day if i keep the tree).

To be fair the extreme compacting of this tree is a bit of a play about as I have had it sat around for 15 years and I was at a loose end yesterday afternoon and wanted to see how small I could get it without cutting anything off ! I'm experimenting with the foliage now to try a new method to create very dense tight growth - if/when it works the tree will be layered into several clouds, then it will look different again.

I have a few 'expendable' Laughing trees dotted around that i practice with before working on the main trees - big bends, twists and extreme stuff isn't so scary when i've had a practice or two!! Practicing on junipers is always usefull with the new talent contest coming up too - they tend to show up somewhere along the way Wink

cheers for now,

Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:35 pm

anyway ...bonsai is a funny game...and you are playing
...and you re right to do it....i do the same

does that mean that you will participate to the european new talent contest this year marcus?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:06 pm

cram wrote:

does that mean that you will participate to the european new talent contest this year marcus?
I really hope so

I have a first stage competition at the national welsh bonsai show on August bank holiday 2012, if luck is with me and I should get through the welsh heat the UK final is in October at another national show - Capel Manor 2012 . It will be the winner of the UK final who comes to France for the European new talent competition in Summer 2013. All i can do is my best, neatest work and try to make something 'not obvious' from the material supplied.

until then it is practice and play, practice and play...........I think we both do this and enjoy our bonsai all the more.

best regards Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down