Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I grow my Ficus

+5
tmmason10
Steven
bonsaisr
lordy
Ryan
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 Empty Re: How I grow my Ficus

Post  Ryan Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Built another little greenhouse a few weeks ago. So far the trees are in it are flourishing with lots of new growth.
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 01210
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00611
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00710
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00811
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00910

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Did you skip the Mylar with the latest box? I've been thinking of a good way to add some reflective materials to my aquarium setup without being too ugly or reflecting to much direct light back into the viewer. But for now I am trying to see my setup through a week long holiday since I'll be out of town. Maybe a week free of tinkering will do it some good.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 pm

MrFancyPlants wrote:Did you skip the Mylar with the latest box? I've been thinking of a good way to add some reflective materials to my aquarium setup without being too ugly or reflecting to much direct light back into the viewer. But for now I am trying to see my setup through a week long holiday since I'll be out of town. Maybe a week free of tinkering will do it some good.

Yep it is mylar free. Growth is the best I've seen so far.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 pm

So note to self, don't use pond baskets Laughing

How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00510
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00411
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00812

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm

congrats on the growth of the new seedlings. I wouldn't ditch the pond basket so fast though. You could always do a little manual pruning since the air pruning doesn't seem to be doing it's job. It is still better than circling roots I would think. I ran into a similar issue in a traditional pot when I got back from vacation a few days ago at the bottom of this picture.
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 Image19
Sorry for the sideways image, it is a little tricky posting from the iPad. Notice all the dropped leaves from the spider mite susceptible one that you pointed out. Fortunately it doesn't seem to have any issues replacing them yet.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

This is actually the thing I've been planning to do with my 2 year old jbp seedlings come spring. An article in Bonsai Todays master series on black pines features Kusiida Matsuo's use of colanders growing pines. Theory is as the root tips grow into the air, they dry up die. This causes more root "branching" behind it. It's an old article but makes sense to me for a tree in development that's headed for a bonsai pot one day.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:20 am

I use plansticbaskets, when I repot seedlings or cuttings for the first time...the holes are VERY small, and as soon as a roottip reach the side of the basket, will it stop for a while, and not dry out, as I have pottet the basket in much bigger pot....this brake in the growing of the root, makes the tree push out more roots from the trunk, or from the stopped root, inside the basket....the root, that was stopped, will later grow out of the basket, and into the soil in the next pot...this teqnique is nice for the cuttings from my small japanese shohin, I used to call Ulmus nire....it works, the root become dense.
I have seen this teqnique in japanese books...I never saw it without the outer pot.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 am

Here's my setup for this winter. A wooden frame:
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00310

Wrapped in plastic:
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 00710
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 01010

Functioning door:
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 01110

And 16 T5 bulbs up top, making some happy plants inside:
How I grow my Ficus - Page 2 01210

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 am

Hi Ryan

It is looking very impressing..hope your winterseason will be good....Please have in mind...as the trees grow, they become bigger, and need more space, and to begin to sell trees, when they become nicer, that need this care, in your area is impossible....
This you have to think about...how big trees, and how many can you actuly find the room for...Or du you have other solutions?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Ryan

It is looking very impressing..hope your winterseason will be good....Please have in mind...as the trees grow, they become bigger, and need more space, and to begin to sell trees, when they become nicer, that need this care, in your area is impossible....
This you have to think about...how big trees, and how many can you actuly find the room for...Or du you have other solutions?

Kind regards Yvonne
I wouldn't say it'd be impossible. I could easily ship the trees to anywhere else in the country. I can fit plenty of trees in here, as it's very tall and very long. No worries Smile 

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2