Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!!

2 posters

Go down

Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!! Empty Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!!

Post  Steven Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 pm

When I was little the first bonsai I ever saw was a gorgeous 80 year old cryptomeria japonica, which is ultimately the tree that led me to the hobby today. After 2 years of scouring my local nurseries and countless hunts online for a nice size tree that wouldn't break the bank I actually found a whole pallet of nice 4-6 ft tall 1-2" trunked trees at my local lowes (something they have always told me they generally never get) Picked one up for under 30 bucks, a few years in the ground or a nice barrel and this tree will begin its bonsai journey, will post a pic in a bit.
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!! Empty Re: Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!!

Post  Steven Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Here it is, decided to barrel pot it the next year or two as there is the possibility that I will be moving and need to move my trees

Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!! 5-23-112
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!! Empty Re: Found my dream tree at a lowes of all places!!!

Post  hometeamrocker Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 am

I have one of these I got last year from a big box store for around $10. It was a little scraggly so I barrel potted it and reduced it about 4" last year, and about another 4" this year. It has a little movement down low and has been pushing lots of new growth this year and has improved it's health from fertilising with fish emulsion and giving it lots of water and general care. I plan to stay the course lowering the top and strengthening lower branches, and picking out the one that will be the leader when I get down there in a few more years. Anyone else out there got stories or experience to share? Good luck, keep updating!

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down