West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey Nigel and Jose-Luis,

I found a tree that stops growing in December, and has red leaves that will slowly fall by the end of February/March.
I will show the image of the tree later, [ it's just a test tree ] but have to get a flowering branch to get it identified.

Looks as though it will make excellent material for Bonsai.
Winter in the tropics, naturally - chuckle.
I will probably get an image to you on wednesday.

Any idea, if you look into the bushes near you, what it is?
Not a ficus - no milk.
Thanks Khaimraj

[ Teaser,also collected seed of something that has leaves similar to a buttonwood, but grows differently on the southern beach area.]


Leaf sample

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  PeacefulAres on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Hey Nigel and Jose-Luis,

I found a tree that stops growing in December, and has red leaves that will slowly fall by the end of February/March.
I will show the image of the tree later, [ it's just a test tree ] but have to get a flowering branch to get it identified.

Looks as though it will make excellent material for Bonsai.
Winter in the tropics, naturally - chuckle.
I will probably get an image to you on wednesday.

Any idea, if you look into the bushes near you, what it is?
Not a ficus - no milk.
Thanks Khaimraj

[ Teaser,also collected seed of something that has leaves similar to a buttonwood, but grows differently on the southern beach area.]


Leaf sample

I'm not from the west indies, but I will tell you that it looks a lot like the leaves of the hackberries that grow all over Florida. Maybe you could check what kind of celtis species growing your area, if at all.

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Peaceful,

if it were a local celtis, that would be the bee's knees, but the celtis types are supposed to stop at Puerto Rico.
In fact Jose-Luis, promised a while ago to look into that situation for me.
Need some flowers for the Herbarium at the University.

Thanks for responding, it is appreciated.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  PeacefulAres on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Peaceful,

if it were a local celtis, that would be the bee's knees, but the celtis types are supposed to stop at Puerto Rico.
In fact Jose-Luis, promised a while ago to look into that situation for me.
Need some flowers for the Herbarium at the University.

Thanks for responding, it is appreciated.
Khaimraj

Could it be an introduced species? The over all leaf shape is just screaming Elm/hackberry to me.

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

Here is the tree, as can be seen, flowers will be needed to identify.
Khaimraj


Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  jrodriguez on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am

Khaimraj,

This is what we call cafeillo or Casearia guianensis. It has been a popular bonsai subject in Puerto Rico for over forty years. It was introduced by Puerto Rico bonsai pioneer, Mr. Adán Montalvo (r.i.p.).

As far as out native celtis, i have yet to find it, although some trees resemble the picture you sent.

jrodriguez
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Jose-Luis,

thank you muchly!

By the way can you help with some images of it as Bonsai.Please.............
Later.
Khaimraj

* Any special cultivating tips ?

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Peaceful,

you have very good eyes, the tree is listed in Trinidad as - Casearia -------> ulmifolia [ Vahl ex Vent.]

We have another one listed as Casearia mariquitensis.

Thanks again - Jose-Luis .

Khaimraj

http://herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk/bol/trin

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  PeacefulAres on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Peaceful,

you have very good eyes, the tree is listed in Trinidad as - Casearia -------> ulmifolia [ Vahl ex Vent.]

We have another one listed as Casearia mariquitensis.

Thanks again - Jose-Luis .

Khaimraj

http://herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk/bol/trin

Heh, thanks. Probably 3/4ths of my plants are Hackberries, mulberries or elms, and they all have a very similar leaf pattern.

PeacefulAres
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Nigel Parke on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Khaimraj,

Had seen this post but had commented at the time. I have been trying to locate it without success. I have now connected with a schoolmate of mine who is now a Botanist and he has agreed to assist me in locating these and other species endemic or otherwise which can be found on our side. Hope I'll be able to locate it as well as show you some others that I've had my eyes on.

Any updates on this one?

Regards,
Nigel

Nigel Parke
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Nigel,

I have to change the soil, but thought it best to do that in late March, as the tree sleeps for a while during the dry season.
I have three more, much smaller, the smallest went red, and has started to grow. I had it in an air-pot and decided to put in all the soil the air-pot could hold.

Pruning, it likes to grow laterally, but not vertically on the side branches.

Looks as though it will make a fine bonsai, with time. It is weed tree, growing on the road side and I should be able to get a 3 to 5 " [ 8 to 12.5 cm ] trunk if I need one.
However, getting one with other than a straight trunk, might be a problem.

I am also testing White Fiddlewood [ Citharexylum spinosum ] though I am not sure ours is a spinosum. At the beach this is an amazing tree, great trunk and branches, also deciduous by dry season, more red leaves and white flowers.
Try it cheers 

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2000/archives/2000/in_the_garden/trees_and_palms/fiddlewood

Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: West Indies folk ------- found this a red of leaf tree for tropical winter

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:40 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum