Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Fiona and Dorothy 7774

+5
dorothy7774
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
fiona
Russell Coker
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi Fiona and Dorothy 7774 - Page 2 Empty leaf & needle cutting

Post  fuzei Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Dorothy and Fiona..
Put it this way, the first person who told me to do it was Marco Invernizzi and subsequently it has been advocated by Peter Warren and Mark Cooper whose expertise I would never question.

Fiona explained above where she had encountered this technique of cutting pine needles,
Dorothy,.. where did you encounter the cutting of Ficus leaves ?
(what is the origin? and the purpose? )

Was this leaf shortening only for the purposes of showing or was there a background reason that would be a technique to achieve 'what'... ?
thanks for the enlightenment ... edzard
fuzei
fuzei

Back to top Go down

Hi Fiona and Dorothy 7774 - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi Fiona and Dorothy 7774

Post  dorothy7774 Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm

fuzei wrote:..
Fiona explained above where she had encountered this technique of cutting pine needles,
Dorothy,.. where did you encounter the cutting of Ficus leaves ?
(what is the origin? and the purpose? )

Was this leaf shortening only for the purposes of showing or was there a background reason that would be a technique to achieve 'what'... ?
thanks for the enlightenment ... edzard

The first time I cut Ficus salicaria (aka. nerifolia) was because of looks. I always liked the defoliated looks the best. Cutting the leafs in half or thirds was the next best thing. (We are talking about looks in the backyard on the shelve, not about exhibiting.) I then observed what cutting the leafs (with or without center growth) would do to the tree ( at certain times of the year). Then I tried other tropicals and noticed they would backbud as well and alltogether get stronger. Cutting the leafs on Buttonwood is not a new thing. I just never noticed it being done on other trees.

I also want to stress that I only do this technique on healthy trees. They will get stronger. You will notice a thicker leaf, more growth, better color. I also remove the fertilizer when cutting and add new, once the little buds emerge. Keep in mind, in my backyard the trees get plenty of water. Plenty of water means they get plenty of fertilizer and get rid of plenty of not so good stuff (like salt).

I have tried this technique on trees that almost never developed secondary growth in the apical area. Although pruning back of outgrowth triggers backbudding, the cutting technique will give you additional more detail to work with. Trimming back outgrowth and plent of ferts gives you long shoots on nerifolia. Removing the ferts (something I learned from Boon re JBPs..) seems to counteract the long shoots. I am getting more natural looking growth, not those toothpick shoots- for a lack of words.

-Dorothy

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

Dear Nephew

Your stack of articles arriwed today...really interesting reading...Look forward to become much wiser.
Thanks for the lovely drawing.

Very kind regards Auntie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon May 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Dear Auntie,

now we can learn together. My time is limited, but if I can, within the week I will post a few of my Japanese black pine efforts. Please don't expect anything fantastic, I have spent most of my time on health, and learning how to branch and back bud, as I stated before.

My Sanshu variety, if that is possible from commercial seed, started of life as a sparingly needled pine, but this year it has begun to densify, very nicely.
I decided to work only on pines under 38 cms in height as I expect to get older some day in the distant future. Large pots and plants are very weighty.
Until.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzei Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am

I also want to stress that I only do this technique on healthy trees. They will get stronger. You will notice a thicker leaf, more growth, better color. I also remove the fertilizer when cutting and add new, once the little buds emerge.
Dorothy.. thank you for your generous and detailed reply.
The technique effects many of the posts on this board, yet there is not much written about it in archives. And you seem to be the primary user of the technique, however, do not recommend it in many places where a novice may find it useful. (not blame, not at all, just surprise that it is not recommended when useful in whole or part of the technique AND.. I don't see an emoticon for the Disclaimer: "its not my fault you tried this at the wrong time' Smile )

The first time I encountered the technique of cutting needles was with Tak Yamaura (JapanBonsai) back when he was still a gardener and didn't have the bonsai shop yet. On pine the reasoning was two-fold, in presentation the bark and trunk movement was more important than the needles or foliage. As a result, he indicated that cutting needles for presentation was a good way to highlight the trunk and especially the bark of Black Pine. And, not done on other pine.
His primary reason was to reduce the candle size for the next year by cutting the ends of the needles at the desired length of his preferred next branch internode. And leaving the fertilizer off so that the growth was weakened so that the internode was smaller than the previous, rather than stronger and larger than the last years growth. And, done when the tree is to strong and other techniques were either to strenuous or not strong enough.

So the reason was to specifically weaken the growth by removing the needle portions and at the same time not damaging the sheathes to create more budding. (as in your case and observations)

The second introduction on that technique was with maple through Junji Shinada, some years before he became the gardener for UBC's Nitobe garden (and he retired last year).
Junji's technique was on maples, especially older 'generation' maples where the branching had been grown out = became too large, removed and regrown 1/4 around the diameter of the trunk at the same height (he simply rotated the primary branches around the tree Cool ). He determined that the cut leaf remained on the tree longer than the torn leaf. In other words when the leaf was cut, it would try to continue to function rather than dying back as the natural process when leaf damage occurs in nature.

The importance of this difference was the length of time that was lost between the cut leaf and the torn leaf that returned nutrients to create new buds versus the years growth cycle.
As an applied technique (one example) he would defoliate the tree except the branch that was being regrown. This one he would tear the leaves about 'X' weeks in advance to time leaf drop with the defoliation (depends on 1/3, 1/2, 2/3rd's tearing). This way there would be more budding directed to the branch that needed to regrow at the same time as keeping the rest of the tree in proportion.
and again as you mentioned and already know, there would be more buds on that branch.. and every new bud is a new apex that strengthens the tree, and growing out before the other leaves returned. This brought the new branch back faster to the original size that it should be and in proportion without increasing trunk girth.

Fertilizer was only added when the leaves had hardened off so that the internodes and leaves would stay reduced, at a time that the production of nutrients was the only job left for leaves for the season.

I realize that you are in Florida and perhaps work mostly on tropicals, however, I also observe that you readily adapt techniques to your uses thumbs up have you tried tearing the leaves rather than cutting them?
again my thanks for your detailed reply and it is wonderful to see this technique being used and your considerable success (talent) with its use.. your trees express themselves very well..
edzard
fuzei
fuzei

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 am

Interesting Edzard,

on this side, because I try to keep the trees in full sun and if possible, low humidity, I have to use a very high nitrogen fertilizer [ 1/3 strength lawn fertilizer applied weekly, ] to keep up the deep green of the foliage.

However, some of our trees, Tamarind, Ixora and say the Seagrape are already immune to the above conditions and the seagrape also handles high breeze without missing a step. So reduction of those leaves are very difficult.
I am presently getting a good deal of leaf density from the Tamarind, so much so, I have to go in and remove inner leaves to allow air into the heart.

The full sun, easily keeps the internodes short, but then I am not sure how truly organic my soils are, as it is only at times 1/3 is compost / cocopeat or other.

Defoliation, as applied to my Celtis, will if overdone result in 1 cm sized leaves, but the trees cannot quite keep up a believable density. These leaves are given the standard cut, and never real torn off.

I am a great believer in full sun, and low humidity, with adequate fertilizer.

I seldom defoliate any tree more than once for the year and then usually at the height of our dry season. My reasoning is more than that will eventually weaken and harm the tree.

Lastly, I will tell you with the Leucenia [ spelling?] you should defoliate frequently, as the only situation that can harm this weed tree is, wet feet.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am

Interesting information guys....

The reply from Fuzei, is the one, I can relate too, as I dont know about the other species...Fuzei can you explain how much you tear a acerleaf off, or just show a photo?.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzei Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 am

Yvonne, Khaimraj, others..
Our trees are just budding here and there is still snow in the forest. I shall have to wait until leaves come out or go to the city and tear some immature leaves.
I shall read the information needed to post pictures.
as a description, there are many ways to tear leaves, and some people leave the torn ends still attached and hanging because they remind them of the 'wishes' tied to trees (in Japan) so that they flutter in the wind.
tearing a leaf is simple enough. Very Happy hold with fingers and tear like tearing paper. But I don't think that is what you mean.
Perhaps the next part is understanding that removing all the leaves has a specific result that (you) already know and therefore removing only half the leaf will have half the effect. (weakens the tree by 1/2 of the maximum the technique offers)(or, allows the tree to be stronger by 50% than complete leaf removal)
Then tear off what you feel the tree should be weakened by. Perhaps it is 1/4 of a leaf or 3/4's of a leaf. All trees are different as each is unique.

Or, is the bud development the more important part?

Leaf tearing is a lot of work. And I am lazy.

and so, being lazy, I must respectfully disagree that sunlight is the only way to reduce leaf size. Before I would tear a leaf or defoliate the tree, I would recommend reducing the amount of water the tree receives. Water is the second best way and reducing the fertilizer is the third. And removing leaves is the same as reducing fertilizer, except for the extra budding capability. The technique of tearing a leaf reduces the energy available to the tree, however, returns more energy to the tree to develop buds.

I wonder if it has been forgotten that as trees, bonsai physiology changes with less water and they become xeric, as in xeri-phytes, drought tolerant plants. and will automatically reduce their growth in accordance to the amount of water that is available to them in the spring, and is kept reduced until the leaves have changed to their summer colour.

Yvonne, what are you really trying to figure out?
you were originally talking about pine, and pine are different than maples or deciduous because the sugars and energy is kept in the tree needles and does not return to the roots for winter storage. and, this is why we defoliate pine in the fall, as the technique of momiage. And, we defoliate deciduous trees in the fall as well, so that less sugars return to the roots for storage, that reduces the spring growth. And is the same as repotting: reducing the roots so that more energy is needed to regrow roots taking energy from the top growth.

This, reduction of sugars for winter storage in roots or needles determines how much energy there is in the needles available for spring, and reduction will reduce the amount of candle growth, and -- internode growth in both conifers and deciduous trees.

I feel I am trying to guess at a question and I know that advising people on their bonsai techniques is like advising someone on how to train their horse... "just don't affraid "... the hard part is that if information is not shared, asked about, and discussed, then a tradition is never born in the first place nor maintained, and thankfully, the bonsai artists that are gifted like Dorothy, will reinvent techniques through their observational skills. And this is also you Yvonne because you are asking yourself a question. I just don't know what question you are asking (yourself), or, if I have an answer..

Do you have an example to work with or from?

Dorothy and Fiona, my apologies, I seem to have run off with your thread. Such was not the intent and I would be happier to interweave your experiences as more consistent with current forum lore, as the cultivation of bonsai has assuredly changed in the last couple decades. edzard
fuzei
fuzei

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 23, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Fuzei

No need to apologise to Fiona and Dorothy, as it was me who started the tread....

I asked if cut needles and leaves was acceptabel for exhibitions, as I found the two trees in the galleri....I see the galleri, as a place you can showcase your finished trees in exhibition-condition.
I found out it is best to keep the needles short, but if a few have become too long, is it OK to cut.
Dorothys tree was not ready for the galleri.

The tread has strayed a lot, and a lot of interesting informaton has come for a day, wich is nice.....especial if you are a fairley new bonsaigrower, who need to learn more....

Fuzei you say "I wonder if it has been forgotten that as trees, bonsai physiology changes with less water and they become xeric, as in xeri-phytes, drought tolerant plants. and will automatically reduce their growth in accordance to the amount of water that is available to them in the spring, and is kept reduced until the leaves have changed to their summer colour."

This is what I do all the time.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello all!
This is a very old thread but I am looking for some help on f. salicaria defoliation so I thought I'd try and ask here....
I have torn by hand the leaves of my f. salicaria in half for reason of back budding.
It is about three weeks now and no sign of back budding yet.
I might have done something wrong?
Any reasoning/suggestions, please?
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:22 pm

fuzei wrote:..I realize that you are in Florida and perhaps work mostly on tropicals, however, I also observe that you readily adapt techniques to your uses   thumbs up            have you tried tearing the leaves rather than cutting them?
  again my thanks for your detailed reply and it is wonderful to see this technique being used and your considerable success (talent) with its use.. your trees express themselves very well..
     edzard

Edzard, I am very sorry to have missed your post. So the answer to your question is, yes, I do leaf tearing preferably on Elm ( American, Cedar), Buttonwood and Bougainvillea.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 pm

my nellie wrote:Hello all!
This is a very old thread but I am looking for some help on f. salicaria defoliation so I thought I'd try and ask here....
I have torn by hand the leaves of my f. salicaria in half for reason of back budding.
It is about three weeks now and no sign of back budding yet.
I might have done something wrong?
Any reasoning/suggestions, please?
Thank you!

Nellie, see my reply in your other thread. With Salicaria it is a timing issue.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Dear Dorothy,
Thank you very much for your eager response!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next