Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larch from the auction

+2
Sakaki
Smithy
6 posters

Go down

Larch from the auction Empty Larch from the auction

Post  Smithy Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I got this in the auction last year . a bargain at £25 i thought. A lot of the growth was on the ends of the big branches . It would have been easy to have just put pads on the ends of them but i wanted to make something a bit more interesting for my garden . I know its not to everyones taste but i like it and think its like the larches i see with drooping branches. I need to do something with the big root and maybe some root grafting in the future would make the nebari more pleasing.

This is when i got it

Larch from the auction 043-1

This would have been the easy way , but a bit boring and not like the trees i see .
Larch from the auction 043-1-1

This is what i wanted it to look like

Larch from the auction 043-1-2

The results

Larch from the auction 0045

Larch from the auction 009-20

Larch from the auction 031-3
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Larch from the auction Empty Re: Larch from the auction

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Very nice tree and very nice development Smithy!
I never saw this tree in my region Sad
Could you please give me some specific info about this sp.? (characteristics, climate conditions, may be its humor Very Happy )

Thanks
Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Taner, its a Larix, could be a decidua, i can't tell for sure. Maybe its a kaempferi.
It lives in Wales at the moment where it rains all the time. It likes to live in the land of fantasy. Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Smile
I think it does not like to live in my region where temp. exceeds 38 oC time to time (land of hell) Very Happy
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I think someone with more knowledge will have to advise you on that. They are becoming my favourite tree to work on as they are very tough and forgiving. 38 is the land of fantasy for us Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Smithy wrote:I think someone with more knowledge will have to advise you on that. They are becoming my favourite tree to work on as they are very tough and forgiving. 38 is the land of fantasy for us Very Happy

You have strange fantasies Smile
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  memet Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:52 pm

What abaut 45 degred at august.
And my acer palamtums still live.
memet
memet

Back to top Go down

Larch from the auction Empty Larch from Auction

Post  bonsaisr Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

I think you may find that larches grow in Turkey up in the mountains. You will have to ask other bonsai growers in your area if larch will survive as bonsai.
Remember I mentioned Turkey might have a climate similar to Britain. They grow larches all the time. It might be worth trying.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add another comment.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Thank you Iris.
I will think about this though not sure to find Sad

Hi memet,
I would like to see your fried acers Smile
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Larch from the auction Empty Larch from Auction

Post  bonsaisr Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:20 pm

In Central New York, we can have several days in Summer when it is over 90, 32 C. I have to admit it is very very rarely over 100, 38 C. Larches do fine here in full sun. Maples are OK, but as bonsai need a little shade.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello, Taner!

I am fond of larches!
I have done lately a little research about the species and I will refer specifically to climate conditions of Greece.... So, you can try and "translate" this for your region and local conditions.
Well, the results are that European Larch-Larix desidua is not suitable for southern Greece, it is mostly an alpine zone tree so it can be found at the very high mountains of southern Greece. I have asked Pavel Slovak about this issue and he suggested that I could try the Japanese larch or Larix Kaempferi which is found at 500m altitude (and above).

A friend of mine has bought overseas 5 seedlings (2-3 years old) but they did not make it here in Athens.
So, I decided to make an attempt with seeds. I have sowed some seeds of Japanese larch and I am waiting for them to sprout. I thought that maybe starting from seeds the new plants will have the time to adjust to local climate conditions (if they ever present themselves) and they will respond better. We will see what happens... Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Alexandra

I really would like to see your achievement on this sp.
I dont have chance to grow from seeds as I dont have a garden Sad
Any my balcony is almost full Smile
May be you send me one of your young larches a few years later Smile

BTW thanks for information
Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  memet Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm

bonsaisr wrote:I think you may find that larches grow in Turkey up in the mountains. You will have to ask other bonsai growers in your area if larch will survive as bonsai.
Remember I mentioned Turkey might have a climate similar to Britain. They grow larches all the time. It might be worth trying.
Iris
Some part of our land like Britain. Always rainy and larches living in natural place. At north. Also central anatolia

İn my area, we have very Mediterranean klimate. Larches living up to the high mountain, near here.
We are testing whit a friend for two year. But summer hot and less moisture. We try.
memet
memet

Back to top Go down

Larch from the auction Empty larch from the auction

Post  moyogijohn Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 pm

SMITTY,, Your larch is looking good.. I like the way you have styled it...going to be a nice tree..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:05 am

moyogijohn wrote:SMITTY,, Your larch is looking good.. I like the way you have styled it...going to be a nice tree..take care john

Thanks John, I like being called SMITTY , it reminds me of when i used to go to India and everyone called me SMITTY Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Larch from the auction Empty larch from the auction

Post  moyogijohn Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:58 am

smithy,,sorry about the miss sp. name!! I do really like the tree and your styleing of it..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 pm

This is how this one is progressing . Some branches will be jinned in the future. Probably my favourite tree in my collection.

Larch from the auction 027-5_zps712c1ec1

Larch from the auction 028-3_zps722c578c

Larch from the auction 029_zps1bec9067

Larch from the auction 030-4_zps462647a1

Larch from the auction 031-3_zps4047db11
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down