Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crape myrtle

+12
xuan le
Poink88
moyogijohn
hometeamrocker
JimLewis
Zach Smith
Jerry Meislik
lordy
EdMerc
coh
Tom Simonyi
Russell Coker
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

crape myrtle Empty crape myrtle

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 pm

This little crape myrtle is a dwarf seedling of I'm guessing 'Natchez', found years ago by a former member of our club. I always thought it was a great little tree and guilded him through its development when he'd bring it to meetings or shows. When he decided to get out of bonsai a few years ago he offered it to me and I jumped on it!

I'll wire it in the fall, but here it is after the first trimmimg of the year. It doesn't produce long shoots and I've never seen it attempt to flower.

crape myrtle Crape_10
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

crape myrtle Empty Re: crape myrtle

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Great find, Russell...good luck with it....I am very fond of this species....attached is one that I am in the process of acquiring....I am very much looking forward to working with it.

Regards,
Tomcrape myrtle Crepe_10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Ya done good, Russell! That tree has a beautiful design...very "natural" and unforced looking.

My usual question - about what size is the tree?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Sorry about that. It's 15 inches tall and almost 30 inches wide. If I hadn't measured it with a yard stick I would have guessed half that size. It was smaller when I got it a few years back. There was a VERY old crape where I lived in Kanuma, and this one always reminds me of it.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:Great find, Russell...good luck with it....I am very fond of this species....attached is one that I am in the process of acquiring....I am very much looking forward to working with it.

Regards,
Tomcrape myrtle Crepe_10

This really reminds me of the old crapes I see all over town. Nice find! Do you know the variety?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Sorry, Russell, I do not know the cultivar as this point in time....I will let you know, however.
Thanks for the kind words.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

That's a really good looking crape. I love the natural shape of it.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 pm

A very beautifully delicate looking tree there Russell, but I have a question. This is not intended to sound how it will sound, but why do you keep the branches so long, when all you see on websites about bonsai constantly preach about tighten it, force growth back, the overall spread should be 'x' vs. trunk diameter, etc. I find myself looking at your tree and thinking the branches should be shorter. Again, I am not passing judgement on your work or this tree at all, just trying to understand various techniques and styles and reasons things are done. Thanks~
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 am

Those are really good points, and I ask myself the same thing... so where to start????

There are a lot of cookie-cutter formulas concerning the height/width proportions for bonsai. Obviously, they are guides, and not much else. This tree, even as a much younger and smaller plant, never looked like that. It's just not the way it grows. If I planted it in the ground and ignored it for 5 years, I'd return to find a bigger version of what I have now. At this point, if I were to REALLY cut it back hard (and I have considered it), I don't think I'd really gain very much. It's never been wired, except for some minor changes by me a couple of years ago, so what you see is me just working with what it wants to do.

This tree is 180 degrees from the one Tom shared. And like I said to him, his looks like the old crapes I see around Mobile. Mobile is an old city (by American standards), and there are some OLD crapes here. But they aren't old compared to the giant I saw everyday in Japan for 3 years. I'll see if I can find a picture. It was a single trunk for the first 3 feet, then broke into 3 "branches" that spread out and up forming a low but broad live oak-like canopy. The kind of tree that was perfect for climbing when we were kids. So, when I think back of that tree, I can't bring myself to do anything drastic to this one. It is what it is, and it make me happy.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:15 am

Russell,
Great, natural and delicate feel to the tree. Shortening proportions would change that feel.
As the artist you get to decide how it will be presented.
No right, no wrong.
Just express yourself and the tree.
Keep up the great work.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:52 am

Russell Coker wrote:
This little crape myrtle is a dwarf seedling of I'm guessing 'Natchez', found years ago by a former member of our club. I always thought it was a great little tree and guilded him through its development when he'd bring it to meetings or shows. When he decided to get out of bonsai a few years ago he offered it to me and I jumped on it!

I'll wire it in the fall, but here it is after the first trimmimg of the year. It doesn't produce long shoots and I've never seen it attempt to flower.

Super tree, Russell. Dare I say, don't change a thing.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks y'all.

A good wiring will help give some definition, which it really needs.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:25 pm

It has a marvelously graceful feel to it. Do you let it bloom? It's probably large enough that it wouldn't be too outlandishly out of shape, unlike my smaller ones.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Russell...I am with the majority...I really like the tree just as it is....would love to see a future post when it is in bloom.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

To be honest, I don't think it's ever going to bloom. This last pruning removed about 60% of this spring's heavy growth. When that new growth elongated, it's on little shoots with only 6 or 7 leaves at the most, but usually not even that many. Even when it regrows in the summe, it never attempts to set any buds. Sometimes these dwarf seedlings don't bloom, and I'd be really surprised if this one ever did.

This is typical of what was removed in this trimming...

crape myrtle 2012-014

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 pm

I really like this tree as well. I've come back to see it several times so I thought I'd share. Nice looking/feeling tree.

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Trunk detail...

crape myrtle 2012-016
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Really nice, Russell...thanks again for sharing.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Octopus with a bulging eye and 1 leg that grew too high.

Poet and didn't know it.

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

crape myrtle Empty crape myrtle

Post  moyogijohn Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:43 pm

RUSSELL,, It is a lovely tree !! i would not change it at all .. maybe it will flower for you i hope but if not,, it is still a natural looking tree un like a lot of bonsai... be happy take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Nice tree, I like it as it is and I won't change it if it is mine. Love the peeling multi-colored bark.

The left-rear part of the nebari throws it off a bit for me but short of carving (almost) nothing can be done to remedy that now.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 am

It will look great after wiring. You are so lucky to get that Crape Myrtle

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

crape myrtle Empty Crepe Myrtle

Post  stargaze Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Fantastic tree!!! I can only dream of owning such a great specimine! She's a beauty!

stargaze

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Nice tree, Russell! Light, natural.

I dug out a garden Crape Myrtle last spring. There were only 2 little buds left on the very low trunk. It was almost dead, the landscapers even ran over it a few times! After I dug it out and planted it into a waaay too big of a pot, it soared with new growth and even flowered for the first time in more than 12 years. It is potbound now.. I got to make a picture and ask you what you would do with it. I like the way how you grew yours.

Thanks, Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next