Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JBP 'kotobuki'

+6
Nik Rozman
Dannon
Ed van der Reek
Frankie C
kenduncan
framor
10 posters

Go down

JBP 'kotobuki' Empty JBP 'kotobuki'

Post  framor Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Greetings all -
I am a student of Colin Lewis from Washington, DC. Since Colin moved to Maine this year, I am only able to see him a couple times a year, but will spend a week at a time with him – this May was my first trip up. We worked on one of my newly acquired trees, a very short needle JBP 'kotobuki'. Colin said I bought myself a lot of work and I can expect to spend upwards of four days each year plucking needles. For me, it's only work if you don't enjoy doing it. I realize the pot is not right, but it will have to do until the next repotting.
I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. I am fairly new to bonsai, but it has become a passion for me and this forum has taught me so much.
Stephen

[img]JBP 'kotobuki' Jbp_ko10[/img]

framor

Back to top Go down

JBP 'kotobuki' Empty Re: JBP 'kotobuki'

Post  kenduncan Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 pm

WHOW!!! What a great tree, most of these I have seen had a nasty graft on the trunk. Very nice indeed and the pot looks fine to me. Nice gray unglazed pots are hard to find.
Ken

kenduncan

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankie C Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Stephen
Very nice tree !! It's a shame you will only have to work on it 4 days out of 365. Laughing
Enjoy it . Why Kotobuki are so nice I have one in my collection.

Frankie C

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Beautiful thank you for showing cheers
Greetings Ed
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankie C Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:41 pm

JBP 'kotobuki' Jbp_ko11

Here is a poto of my Kotobuki. Not as nice as yours but you got to love the look of them.

Frankie C

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannon Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 am

I had a chance to see this tree at the PBA, NBF spring show, I took a pic of it and added it to my clubs site of random pics I took of the show. www.rappahannockbonsaisociety.com love the work you have done to it!
Dannon
Dannon

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:31 am

Super JBP you have there Stephen! I too do think the pot suits it nice. Take a good care of it.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 am

That's a great tree to learn with.
The needles seem nice and small.
The pot might be a tad tall and prehaps not quite wide enough but the gray color doesn't bother me.

Good luck with it and pay heed to it watering it.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  framor Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 am

Thanks all for your comments on my kotobuki. I love this tree and look forward to its development. I enjoyed seeing yours Frankie. The needles on these are great huh?! I also enjoyed seeing some of my other trees on your blog Dannon. The little kingsville placed 3rd (it's the one pictured in the shohin display).

Stephen

framor

Back to top Go down

JBP 'kotobuki' Empty Beezoism, Bonsai Luv'R

Post  beezoism Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Greetings to all.

FRAMR, where in the world did you get this lovely "Kotobuki" black pine bonsai.

Anything of this development and age seems to only be available in Japanese

nurseries and seldomly in European collections. The only things I've seen here in the

states are nurseries who sell only untrained landscape plants in gallon containers.

Waiting for your reply.

Beezoism

beezoism

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:41 pm

what a great black pine - nice material indeed. I agree with you - needle plucking and candle work is not a chore on a nice pine

can you get the crown leveled up a bit though ? it has the appearance of pointing / leaning to the left while all the other branches are beautifully level and powerfull.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Love the tree, love the pot. You are one lucky man!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  framor Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks all for the kind words about my kotobuki.

Beezoism: The tree is a Japanese import and came from Sean Kelly (works at the Kennett collection). Fast forward a couple years, I have to back off on food and water, both of which is causing longer needles even on this short needle pine Mad

Marcus: I agree with your comment about the crown. I've been working on it, thinning it out to balance the energy throughout the tree (1st branch is getting weak). Overall a very strong tree. I wish I had a shohin kotobuki of this quality, but I don't believe that's possible.

Todd: Thanks for the positive comments. I love this tree, but not sure it loves our hot, humid summers here in Washington, DC!!! For that matter, I'm not sure I do either. Embarassed Looking forward to the national show next weekend, hope to meet some of you there.

framor

Back to top Go down

Post  beezoism Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Dearest Framor:

Thanks for this information.

Regarding your techniques to keep needles short...I am aware of this approach when new needles push during the growth season. We are all suppose to withhold water/fertilizer and give full sun to encourage short growth. Have you tried growth retardants/regulators on your plants? I have a product called A-Rest from www.sepro.com. I have used it successfully to keep my white pine needles short and have been doing it for years without ill effect. The tradition of withholding water/food does not sit too well with me as this technique is pushing me out of my comfort level in keeping viable plants. Give growth regulating hormones a try on your least expensive pines and see for yourself. I've also used it on my cycas revoluta in keeping the fronds under 1 foot long. Without it, my cycad can produce fronds over 3 feet long in poorly lit conditions.

beezoism, bonsai luv'r
Twisted Evil

beezoism

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum