Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

magnolia...cutting vs layering

4 posters

Go down

magnolia...cutting vs layering Empty magnolia...cutting vs layering

Post  coh Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 am

Hi everyone,

I picked up a deciduous magnolia last fall, variety x loebneri "Leonard Messel" (a cross between kobus and stellata). It's in bloom now (beautiful...and quite fragrant) so I'm going to have to make some decisions soon. The plant is not overly large, trunk base about 1.5"...so I'm trying to decide whether to plant in the ground to let it get larger, or chop back and use what I've got. Leaning toward the latter. Anyway, if I cut it back, I hate to waste all the beautiful top growth. Has anyone had any success rooting fairly large (3/4 inch) cuttings of this type of magnolia? I could also layer it, but then I'd essentially lose a season of design/growth. If anyone has experience with these, please let me know!

Chris

magnolia...cutting vs layering Magnol10

magnolia...cutting vs layering Magnol11
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

magnolia...cutting vs layering Empty Re: magnolia...cutting vs layering

Post  abcd Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 pm

airlayering on a a big trunk ( 2 inches ) is a good ans fast solution, better than rooting,because magolia creates a lot of roots with airlayering, for the soil, use only pure kyriu.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I wish I had an answer for you Chris, I don't know. But boy, beautiful flowers. I have a Jane Magnolia that has buds half the size of yours and no flowers. Maybe because I potted it up earlier this spring from it's nursery container? Either way, with that, and no flowers on my Chojubai Quince has made my spring a bit less dramatic than yours Wink

If it were mine, I'd prob. air layer a 3/4" stem if you really wanted it. Hopefully someone with more experience will give you a better opinion.

Again, very nice Magnolia Chris!

Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

magnolia...cutting vs layering Empty magnolia air layering

Post  abcd Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 pm

[img]magnolia...cutting vs layering Dscn0720[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:17 pm

abcd, did you create that tree from an air layer (and what variety is it)? Love the number of flowers on it!

I guess the lack of responses indicates that most people don't have experience with magnolias. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet...probably going to just cut it back and try rooting some of the cuttings. Most of what I've read online suggests that early season "hardwood" type cuttings aren't the best way to go but I will report back if I have any success.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello,
I do have no experience with magnolia layering, but i know it is been done with the skirt method
in early summer.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 am

This bonsai was created with air layer , six years ago, air layering in april with sphaignus in black plastic closed big bag , air layering was cut in october same year .
Variety : magnolia gresham royal crown , all deciduous magnolias varieties are "gresham".

abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down