Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brighamia insignis

+2
JimLewis
Tom Simonyi
6 posters

Go down

Brighamia insignis Empty Brighamia insignis

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm

This was recently posted under the earlier "Succulent Bonsai" thread. I realize that thread was pretty active and a bit controversial, and I don't wish to perpetuate the controversy by posting this plant; however, it is not a succulent, but rather an herbaceous perennial belonging to the bellflower family (Campanulaceae), indigenous to the island of Kau'ai.

I have enjoyed it, realizing it is far from what is thought of as traditional bonsai. I do feel, however, that aspects of the tree may be considered as "bonsai-like."

fwiw...Brighamia insignis Brigha10
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Brighamia insignis Empty Re: Brighamia insignis

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

If too much scorn is heaped on your head by those bonsai purists who were so offended by the succulent thread you can send this one down here, Tom.

I liked it there and I like it here!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 pm

I agree 100% with Jim. Do what you like......Like what you do !! Whether it be a single trunk, single "tree" like this, or a wonderful follow the rules masterpiece, both can give it's creator the same satisfaction ! IMHO !

Well done Tom,

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Thank you for posting. Brilliant tree.

Did you put your tropicals out yet?

David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

Jim, Ed, and Dave: Thanks so much for your support...I am glad you enjoyed the composition... Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 am

Sorry Dave...in answer to your question I have not put out my tropicals yet, although here in northern WV it feels and looks more like the beginning of June...really crazy weather as all of us around the country are already aware of.
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 am

Thank you Tom for posting this! It brings back very fond memories. But bittersweet ones…

This species is native to sea bluffs in Hawaii. Its only pollinator was a hawk moth which is now extinct. This means that the plant will only survive in the wild with the intervention of humans. In previous employment I was able to award a grant of funds to a Hawaiian organization that employs staff to repel down cliffs and hand pollinate the remaining individuals in order to keep some seed production happening in the population. The long-term sustainability of this effort is certainly questionable.

As to “bonsai” or “not bonsai” I will not opine. But I will congratulate you on a well grown specimen and helping to preserve, even if just through horticulture, a critically imperiled species.

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Brighamia insignis Empty brighamia insignis

Post  moyogijohn Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 am

TOM,, It is different but the trunk looks great.. the trunk is woody,,nice foliage so why not a bonsai ???will it flower also ?? i like it..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 pm

David: Thank you for the moving reply....I am aware of the species history and current peril. How great that you were able to fund an effort to help with the pollination. I am committed to caring for it to the best of my ability just for the reaons you have stated.

John: Thanks for the kind words....this picture shows it in flower (last September)...they are very delicate, a beautiful yellow in color, and with a scent reminiscent of honeysuckle.
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum