Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New species bonsai.

+8
Rob Kempinski
Poink88
Russell Coker
handy mick
bonsaisr
Joel T
Ka Pabling
jong
12 posters

Go down

New species bonsai. Empty New species bonsai.

Post  jong Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

this is my new discovered species. i found this in a coconut lot which has a lot of rocks. and this one grows on rocks. according to the elder people there, this species is already very very old. when they harvest the coconuts, they just prune these kinds of plant there.and by the way, this plant has a fruit, if it is ripe, it is violet in color. i dont even know what kind of species is this. so if anyone knows, please let me know. and if its leaves can be reduced. thank you and God bless.
New species bonsai. Img_0910New species bonsai. Img_0911New species bonsai. Img_0912
New species bonsai. Img_0913

jong

Back to top Go down

New species bonsai. Empty New species bonsai

Post  Ka Pabling Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 am

It looks like a duhat,or black plum syzygium cumini

If this is duhat, its a good bonsai material, you may cut the twigs, select those that you need.
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

New species bonsai. Empty Re: New species bonsai.

Post  Joel T Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 am

Is it a real species if elders knew about it for a long time?

Joel T

Back to top Go down

New species bonsai. Empty New Species

Post  bonsaisr Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 am

Joel T wrote:Is it a real species if elders knew about it for a long time?
What do you mean? Do you know what a species is?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 am

Ka Pabling i went to the agrifair earlier. then i visited a bonsai store there then i saw a duhat-dagat. then i asked for some leaves. i compared it but it was really different. and i also saw its bark and trunk, its color was really very different too. the residents there usually call it 'cherry' because of its fruit. thank you so much. here's the photo of the duhat leaves.
New species bonsai. Img_0914

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am

Would that be a cherry laurel? We have those here, they self seed easily and would not be bad bonsai material.

Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

handy mick wrote:Would that be a cherry laurel? We have those here, they self seed easily and would not be bad bonsai material.

Mick

Mick, that's really not very helpful if you can't narrow it down with a Latin name. We have a crappy, weedy tree called "cherry laural" too, Prunus caroliniana. Also, it has alternate leaves, not opposite leaves like the tree in question here.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
handy mick wrote:Would that be a cherry laurel? We have those here, they self seed easily and would not be bad bonsai material.

Mick

Mick, that's really not very helpful if you can't narrow it down with a Latin name. We have a crappy, weedy tree called "cherry laural" too, Prunus caroliniana. Also, it has alternate leaves, not opposite leaves like the tree in question here.
While it is not as perfect as providing a latin name, I personally would take that over nothing. At least he provided a start/lead.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Not really Dario.

I don't mean this as an attack on Mick or anyone else, but when people ask for help with an identification it would be prudent for those offering suggestions to at least look at the material being offered to determine if it has opposite or alternate leaves, and go from there. What the leaf looks like is really of very little value, lots of plants around this great big world that are completely unrelated have similar leaves. We live in the same geographical area, so "cherry laural" probably means the same thing to us. Maybe it's the same for Mick, but on his side of the world who knows? But to throw that at someone in The Philippines or Indonesia isn't really fair, and most likely nowhere even close to correct.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Do you have a photo of the fruit? Or at least a description?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:27 pm

i don't actually saw its fruit but according to some people there, they usually eat its fruit and it is violet in color. as what i've seen in its bark, it is quite similar with the santan, and other people did also say that. thank you so much. God bless.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Santan is an ixora? The bark and leaves do look like Iroxa and while I have not seen fruit on my Ixora they supposedly do make dark purple berries.
Hope it flowers for you - you can style it like a Japanese quince clump style.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

jong wrote:i don't actually saw its fruit but according to some people there, they usually eat its fruit and it is violet in color. as what i've seen in its bark, it is quite similar with the santan, and other people did also say that. thank you so much. God bless.

Jong,

Santan fruit is not edible. Cleaning the bark of your tree will help you identify it properly. One question, does the tree bear fruit close to the main trunk. If so, Ka Pabling is right. So far, the description of the fruit is consistent with Syzygium.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm

here's the bark and some leaves. the fruits are in the twigs. thank you.
New species bonsai. Img_0915New species bonsai. Img_0916New species bonsai. Img_0917

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 am

Someone else mentioned Syzygium...the leaves look a lot like those on my dwarf brush cherry (a Syzygium of some type, I believe...though can't keep up with the name changes). New leaves come out tinged red just like mine do...similar shape, same opposite arrangement. I've never had fruit on mine.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 am

Dwarf brush cherry is Syzygium paniculatum. There is a definite resemblance.
If you would like to be on the mailing list for my glossary, which tries to document all the current names for 175 species, let me know.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

New species bonsai. Empty new species

Post  Ka Pabling Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 am

Hi Iris
Please include me in your mailing list
Thanks

ka pablong
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyok Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 am

..hi jong, i think thats what they call " bugnay " where fruits like cherry, ..
Tyok
Tyok

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Jong,
Sorry pre for coming in late for this thread. Busy preparing for the big National Show on May.

Anyway, this I think is "Lipote"- Syzgium polycephalum-

Not so sure unless I see the fruit.

Another one almost the same as the one you have is "Kalumpit"- Terminalia edulis Blanco

Ask the coco farmers if they are shaking the fruits inside a jar with salt before eating the berries....If it they do it is most likely to be "Lipote". Lipote also commonly grows in coconut plantation. I have so much fun with this fruits when I was young during coconut harvesting season.

There are only three fruits with purplish berries like this tree- "Duhat", "Kalumpit", and "Lipote". Although Kalumpit or Duhat is the more likely candidate and much similar to the leaves of your new tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm

@jun - thank you pre. according to the people there it produces white flower. and the fruits have 3 seeds or sometimes more. this specie is not duhat, because duhat have only 1 seed in its fruit. we have duhat here, duhat-dagat and native duhat. this tree is close to the family of dwarf cherry. thank you so much.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 pm

jong wrote:@jun - thank you pre. according to the people there it produces white flower. and the fruits have 3 seeds or sometimes more. this specie is not duhat, because duhat have only 1 seed in its fruit. we have duhat here, duhat-dagat and native duhat. this tree is close to the family of dwarf cherry. thank you so much.

Yes, I think it is Lipote, please checked the photos of lipote fruit and you can show it to the farmers and see if it is the same. if you wanted to come up with a name. Syzgium polycephalum is endemic to the Philippines BTW.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

New species bonsai. Empty new speci

Post  tap pi lu Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:31 am

I do not know the scientific name, but your tree is the tree "Forms". Its flowers here
New species bonsai. DSC04477
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyok Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 am

..probably it is a variety of "IXORA".. Suspect
Tyok
Tyok

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Fri May 25, 2012 2:49 pm

i think this tree is from the family of Cotoneaster. thank you so much for all the comments. god bless you all.

regards,
jong

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat May 26, 2012 12:58 am

That last picture is obviously an Ixora. The most common one is Ixora coccinea. It belongs to the Rubiaceae, the madder family. Cotoneaster belongs to the rose family, no relation.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down