Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apple Branches

5 posters

Go down

Apple Branches - Page 2 Empty Re: Apple Branches

Post  Poink88 Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

bonsaisr wrote:What insect did they say caused the galls? Did you cut any of the galls open to see if there is a sign of an insect in it?
It was inconclusive since I already treated the tree. I did open it on site and discovered a nest of thousands of tiny (pin tip sized) white insects that looked almost like tiny roaches (however, at that size, I cannot be sure).

bonsaisr wrote:I hope your ag agent turns out to be right. Keep an eye on the other trees.
I hope so too and yes I am watching them all. Thanks!

Nemphis, Sorry for the hijack.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Apple Branches - Page 2 Empty Apple BRANCHES

Post  bonsaisr Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:05 am

Maybe some day I will learn not to go off half-cocked. Embarassed Your ag agent was right.
This is what I got from Nina Shishkoff, our resident Bonsai Doctor:
<<If it's apple, then it's elm cottony scale insects (although that sounds dubious, doesn't it?). I've seen the galls on crabapple on Long Island. True: if you get rid of the insects, the trees will be fine, but won't lose the galls. If you examine the galls and see white fluffy stuff in the cracks, it's the cottony scale.>>
The tiny insects you saw inside the galls were probably crawlers.
Nevertheless, any time you see galls on a tree, especially in the rose family, be suspicious as it could be a contagious disease. Taking it immediately to the local ag agent was the right thing to do.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 am

Iris,

We are all here to share and (hopefully) learn from each other. I do appreciate the extra input and as you said, it is best to thread on the side of caution. It was Jim who advised me to have it checked right away actually and followed up by several knowledgeable members.

Thanks again!!! ThumbsUp
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:57 am

Dario
what did you use to kill the insects in those galls?

I think before I begin air layering an apple in my back woods who is covered in wonderful bumps I'll have a twig checked out by MY Ag.
Probably do a bit of exploratory surgery.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 am

drgonzo wrote:Dario
what did you use to kill the insects in those galls?

I think before I begin air layering an apple in my back woods who is covered in wonderful bumps I'll have a twig checked out by MY Ag.
Probably do a bit of exploratory surgery.
-Jay
It was Spectracide Termite http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/Terminate/Spectracide-Terminate-Termite-and-Carpenter-Ant-Killer2-Ready-to-Use.aspx
This is the one Home Depot recommended to me and seem to work perfectly.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Unfortunately my father throwed away the apple twigs,but insted of them he brought me at least a dozen of quince twigs of different measures,the biggest one being almost the size of my thumb.

Except that today I did some collecting and got 3 blackthorn,which I had to let at my grandma's house until monday...
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Apple Branches - Page 2 Empty Cherry Twigs

Post  Nemphis Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm

It has been some days since I with my dad pruned a cherry and I took some twigs and try to get root on them.I just sticked them in the other pots that I have and I'm hoping I'll succed.So far the tips of the buds are turning green,is this something good or bad?
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down