Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracked pot...repair or discard?

+9
lordy
bucknbonsai
Dale Cochoy
SamC
rock
JimLewis
landerloos
Billy M. Rhodes
Poink88
13 posters

Go down

Cracked pot...repair or discard? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cracked pot...repair or discard?

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 am

lordy wrote:I too used Gorilla glue on one I broke.  I planted what used to be in it, so it has not had a tree in it over the winter, so I dont know if my repair will hold up.  Luckily the pot was about the same color as the foam that results when Gorilla glue dries, so it isnt very noticable, and I wouldnt use it for public display, but I still can use it.   Sad
As far as fiberglass goes, that probably wont work on a glazed pot as there is nothing for the resin to grip.  And unless you have a really expensive pot, you will probably spend more for the fiberglass etc than the pot is worth.  I guess we need to face the fact that most repairs to cracked pots are A) not for display and B) probably short-lived.

My gorilla glue lasts for YEARS inside the pots with tree, soil and water and freezing. you don't need it on the OUTSIDE, Just the inside. see my photo. if any squeezes through the fine crack to the outside it will cut off nicely with a razor and you'll never see it.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Cracked pot...repair or discard? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cracked pot...repair or discard?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:33 am

I have used a combination of a physical glue and a low firing frit.
A slow firing in the kiln and the pot is as was.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:I have used a combination of a physical glue and a low firing frit.
A slow firing in the kiln and the pot is as was.
Khaimraj

Hmmmm?
I'm curious?
How many times have you REFIRED a cracked pot and had it come out again 'as it was' ?
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Dale,

I did research into enamel glazes, and as such have a small range of non-toxic enamel frits that can gloss at 650 to 690 deg.C.
This will not normally disturb either an earthenware body or earthenware glaze [ or stoneware/porcelain glaze /body ].
Does this help?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 am

Dale Cochoy wrote:
lordy wrote:I too used Gorilla glue on one I broke.  I planted what used to be in it, so it has not had a tree in it over the winter, so I dont know if my repair will hold up.  Luckily the pot was about the same color as the foam that results when Gorilla glue dries, so it isnt very noticable, and I wouldnt use it for public display, but I still can use it.   Sad
As far as fiberglass goes, that probably wont work on a glazed pot as there is nothing for the resin to grip.  And unless you have a really expensive pot, you will probably spend more for the fiberglass etc than the pot is worth.  I guess we need to face the fact that most repairs to cracked pots are A) not for display and B) probably short-lived.

My gorilla glue lasts for YEARS inside the pots with tree, soil and water and freezing. you don't need it on the OUTSIDE, Just the inside. see my photo. if any squeezes through the fine crack to the outside it will cut off nicely with a razor and you'll never see it.
Fortunately the pot that broke was not a Dale Cochoy original... Those that I own are safe and sound under a foot of SNOW, DAMMIT!! I WANT SPRINGTIME. Mad 
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down