Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seedling how to

4 posters

Go down

Seedling how to Empty Seedling how to

Post  KoPiSan Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey folks,

I am considering the purchase of some seedlings for future field growth.

How long should I grow the seedlings out before planting them in open ground?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments/information..

Dave

KoPiSan

333mom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Seedling how to Empty Re: Seedling how to

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Give them at least a year or better two, in pots, spreading the roots radially with each repot in spring, until they are big enough to withstand the ravages of slugs, snails and whatever other critters that may snack on them. When you plant them a tile, slate or other flat surface just under the roots helps to develop and maintain a good root spread (nebari).
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

333mom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

I like to buy tube starts for field growing. They're a bit more cash, $5-10US each, but can usually go right into the garden as they are 2-3yrs already. Kev, when you do the tile, do you put the tree directly on the tile or do you put a layer of soil down first? Thanks
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  KoPiSan Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Give them at least a year or better two, in pots, spreading the roots radially with each repot in spring, until they are big enough to withstand the ravages of slugs, snails and whatever other critters that may snack on them. When you plant them a tile, slate or other flat surface just under the roots helps to develop and maintain a good root spread (nebari).

Do you start with a two or three inch pot and then increase to a four inch pot in year two?

KoPiSan

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

RKatzin wrote:I like to buy tube starts for field growing. They're a bit more cash, $5-10US each, but can usually go right into the garden as they are 2-3yrs already. Kev, when you do the tile, do you put the tree directly on the tile or do you put a layer of soil down first? Thanks
I did a few 30" trident maple "whips" recently on pots. I added about an inch of soil on top of the tile before laying the bare roots and covering with soil. I plan on raising the plant another inch above the tile when I repot to give finer feeder roots room to grow. Not sure if that is the right way and would like to hear what others do as well.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum