Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots

4 posters

Go down

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots Empty I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51 am

So I've been through Ryan B's signature index several times....and after a few tries and a few cold beers I've decided to concede defeat. If you can tell me who made these pots I'd be very grateful and will give a toast to your honor as I finnish my last cold IPA Smile

Number One
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02863
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02865[img][/img]
Number three
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02921
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02919
Number four
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02925
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02924
Number five
I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots DSC02927

Last edited by NeilDellinger on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : na)

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots Empty Re: I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots

Post  Ryan B Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:18 am

1. Heian Kosen(wrong orientation)
2. Give me a couple days, gotta look
3. Tosui
4. Maruto(aka Marufuji, it's upside down)
5. Unknown

Numbers 1, 3, and 4 I think may be on there. Then again, they may be in the chops I have yet to edit and upload!
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots Empty Re: I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots

Post  jersanct Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:16 am

Neil, I have nearly exactly the same pot from the same artist as your number four. It's a real beauty, isn't it?
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

Yes, its a nice little pot. Where did you get yours by the same maker?

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots Empty I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots

Post  kora Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:34 am

No 1. Heian- Kosan or Kousan pots can easely be identified, because they are all either glazed on the bottom or have that padderned design on the bottom or both. In 2010 they were readily available at Taikan-ten, and at a very reasonable price-one year later-I could not find any at Taikan-ten-alas I had sold almost all of the ones I found. to the best of my knowledge-Heian -Kosan was born in 1933-this information from one of the Japanese books about pots.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 am

Kora,
Many Japanese makers use fabric to pattern the bottom of their pots, and glaze the bottom also. While Heian Kosen pots are easily distinguishable because they they're the most common that are that detailed as such, they're not the only ones, and not all Kousen pots have these features, and none of his Tokoname produced wares I've seen do. The only real way is to know the chop! I think you may have this potter mixed up with another, This is Heian Kosen(平安虹泉), not Heian Kousan or Kosan or Kouzan(平安香山), he was born in Showa 40(that's 1952). I do believe Second Generation Heian Kouzan was born around 1933, perhaps that the one from the book you're thinking of?
Ryan

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

I've had it.....need help id'ing a few pots Empty I've had it....

Post  kora Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 am

Ryan:
Please read my post carefully-I stated: either or, or both-regarding glazing and paddern-and yes, I am aware, that many potters paddern the bottom of their pots-but heian -kosen or kousen-depending on how you want to spell it uses a very distinctive paddern-it is certainly NOT from a cloth, more like a wire mesh. I am not aware, that he made pots in Tokoname-all the vendors and my broker in Tokoname stated, that he is located near Kyoto, or else I would have located him on one of my many trips to Tokoname. There may well be more than one Kousen/Kosen, but the one who made the pot in this post is the one, that makes the pots with the distinctive paddern on the bottom.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 am

Kora,
You are right! Heian Kosen makes pots that are either, or both. But he also makes pots that are NEITHER, that's where I said you may be misleading folks with Inaccurate pot information. I've dedicated too little and too much time to be sure people have accurate pot information, and your post was inaccurate. I hate to call in to doubt your dealer...but you should research before you buy from anyone, they're 1,000¥-4000¥ across the board, top to bottom..., but not only did Kosen make pots for Tokoname, he used a particular stamp for it...check out Yoshoen's(respectable Japanese Nursery) bio on him.
http://www.yoshoen.com/tuhan/pot/pot_a40.html
Oh, and the Tokoname version of his stamp is up on my database, they have neither wraparound glaze nor fabric pattern(even if it's made with wire, that's what it's called...the greatest pots of Tofukuji have it...it's an homage)
Ryan....cranky Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/[b]

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 am

Oh, and I can't Believe that I spend hundreds of hours a month studying japanese pottery, writing about it, translating Hanko and Rakkan and tracing Them through my friends...and youre at Taikan...congrats, you won...
Ryan

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 am

I'm a bitter bitter bonsaist .... Very Happy

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down