Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

verigata serrissa hints and tips please.

2 posters

Go down

verigata serrissa hints and tips please. Empty verigata serrissa hints and tips please.

Post  paddyb97 Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi there
This is my first post about my first Bonsai the wife bought me , its a verigated serrissa (thats the name on the label) I just need a few tips on where is best to place it, we did see a few tiny black flies on it and not sure how to get rid of them, and how much and how often to water/feed it, if any one can help me out i would be most grateful Paul

paddyb97

Back to top Go down

verigata serrissa hints and tips please. Empty Re: verigata serrissa hints and tips please.

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Oh my. Serissa foetida.

First, those tiny black flies are fungus gnats. Their presence means the soil your tree is planted in is too wet. So . . . only water when the soil feels dry. You can test this by keeping a piece of wood (a broken off chopstick is ideal) jammed in the soil half way between the trunk and pot. Remove it daily and feel the dirty end. If it is damp, do NOT water. If dry, water.

Second, this is a very tempearmental tree. I will almost guarantee that in a day or two it will begin to lose leaves.

Don't panic. Don't water, don't fertilize. Don't do anything.

You don't say where you are from, but I'd bet it might be Ireland (or somewhere in the UK).

If you can, put it outdoors, in the sun, then don't move it. If it can't go outside, a south window is fine, but once it's there, don't move it!

You should see new growth to replace the fallen leaves. But if you change its position, the ^%$# tree will lose its leaves again.

If the surface of the soil in the pot is covered with glued-on rocks, get rid of them -- carefully so you don't damage the tree. Prying them up with a screwdriver works. Replace the resulting void with some potting soil.

Once every 2 weeks or so, fertilize with regular houseplant fertilizer, following dilution or application instructions on the label. You can trim off new growth when the tree starts to look too bushy and out of shape. Then is when it might be nice to post a photo of your new acquisition here so we can make suggestions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

verigata serrissa hints and tips please. Empty My veriggata serrissa

Post  paddyb97 Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi Jim thanks for your help we are from Redditch Worc`s uk i will do what you have suggested & keep you posted, thank`s again Paul

paddyb97

Back to top Go down

verigata serrissa hints and tips please. Empty Re: verigata serrissa hints and tips please.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down