Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seedling ident please

2 posters

Go down

Seedling ident please Empty Seedling ident please

Post  fiona Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 pm

I wonder if some of my north American colleagues can identify this tree for me. The seeds came from the Washington DC area in 2003 and sprouted about 1 year afterwards in a black plastic plant pot which I subsequently ignored until I uncovered it at the back of my garden yesterday. I did take a note of the name at the time but have long since lost it. I have in mind it's some sort of walnut but I can't remember.

Cheers

Fiona

Seedling ident please Seeds

Seedling ident please Seedlings1

Seedling ident please Seedlings2
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Seedling ident please Empty Re: Seedling ident please

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:20 pm

It's an american hickory. Not exactly sure which species but it's definately a hickory.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks Randy. D'you know, that occurred to me not two minutes after I posted, but I still wasn't sure.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:44 pm

fionnghal wrote:Thanks Randy. D'you know, that occurred to me not two minutes after I posted, but I still wasn't sure.

Hi fionnghal,

I know the feeling exactly. My brain has slowed down and all to often the drawers that contain plant names is locked. I suspect that your Hicory is probably one of the more common ones like Shagbark (Carya ovata) which the nut looks like. Here in Kentucky we have 7 species of Hickory and sometimes telling the difference between them can be rather time consuming. Good luck with it - they don't really make very good bonsai but it's a very nice tree anyway.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down