Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Beech nebari issue

+2
drgonzo
Mitch - Cedarbog
6 posters

Go down

American Beech nebari issue Empty American Beech nebari issue

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:53 am

I collected an American Beech 2 seasons ago. I collected it because it has excellent lower branching and the basal measurement is 2 inches caliper. The branches are excellently placed but as i looked at it a few days ago, a vision came alive for the tree. The problem: no nebari.
What i am wanting to know is, How can i develop nebari on a beech?? It is now in the growing field to speed up the classic slow development beeches are known for.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

American Beech nebari issue Empty Re: American Beech nebari issue

Post  drgonzo Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:59 am

Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:I collected an American Beech 2 seasons ago. I collected it because it has excellent lower branching and the basal measurement is 2 inches caliper. The branches are excellently placed but as i looked at it a few days ago, a vision came alive for the tree. The problem: no nebari.
What i am wanting to know is, How can i develop nebari on a beech?? It is now in the growing field to speed up the classic slow development beeches are known for.

I had to chuckle a bit,

It has taken me 3 years to grow out even the most humble beginnings of an apex on a collected Beech, I cant imagine the time involved to grow Nebari, your best hope may be grafting, use grandifolia seedlings, (Pm me for sources) it may take several years for the grafts to take, if at all, and if it doesn't remember Beech's scar easily, and basically for life.

Some sort of a layering process could be an option but again Beech's don't layer well either. Thats a tough one!
-Jay

drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:34 am

i think it needs digging up again, if possible prune out roots directly below the trunk and tie the tree to a slab or slate, then replant it so all the roots have to grow out away from the trunk to get past the slab - then you create the trunk base flare you want

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 am

Hard to say without a picture but I have seen fantastic results from air layers on beech to create a new nebari.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello,
Maybe an airlayer would indeed be the solution.
Try the tourniquet method in early summer, it should take at least 3 months.
I am talking about climate zone 8 and fagus sylvatica, but i think it will work with american beech as well.
A disk under the layer to direct the roots horizontal would be a good idea.
regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:29 pm

A picture would be very helpful here.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 am

the bonsai bark website had an article last year about this very issue. They were girdling the trunk and putting wire on it as well. They did it on a giant 4" diameter section. It worked extremely well.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:25 am

I have some pics BUT i am unable to upload via my smartphone. Does anyone know how i can set it up to make it where i could "host" the pics. I have an arsenal of good pics and converstation pieces if just i could download those pics.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:26 am

bucknbonsai wrote:the bonsai bark website had an article last year about this very issue. They were girdling the trunk and putting wire on it as well. They did it on a giant 4" diameter section. It worked extremely well.
IS THERE A LINK SO I COULD LOOK IT UP? thank you
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down