Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus forest

+3
richard novis
JimLewis
Anne
7 posters

Go down

Ficus forest Empty Ficus forest

Post  Anne Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:14 pm

This is my first attempt at a forest. Comments and advice are welcome.

Ficus forest Ficus_11

Anne

Back to top Go down

Ficus forest Empty Re: Ficus forest

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:51 pm

That's a nice start.

You might want to consider grouping them less evenly spaced across the pot/tray though. Maybe in two groups -- one of 3 trees and one of 4, all a bit closer to one side or another of the tray. Each of the groups should have one of the larger trees in it and one of the smallest trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  richard novis Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:09 pm

hi anne

I have posted a link to a group planting article i found very helpful http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATGroups.html has alot of very good advice
hope this helps with the devolopement of your first forest planting.

best wishes

richard

Last edited by richard novis on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

richard novis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm

One thing that would help is to put a little more space in the front of the planting (sort of like the foreground in a painting).
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 am

G'day Anne...

Good advice, above.

I would like to add...more difference in trunk diameters...also in height.

Nice start Anne...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Thank you all for your valuable comments. The link to Bonsai4me holds very good advice.

I had two more, tiny trees, but somehow, I couldn't squeeze them in. The dish is only about 25 cm in length. It would have looked less evenly spaced. I'm now considering growing cuttings (less root mass) to add at the next repotting.

Anne

Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Anne,
At the next repotting you can slice off the rootballs, even cutting all the roots off one side of the tree in order to fit it very close to another tree. Ficus will tolerate this type of treatment very well if they are healthy.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Ficus forest Empty Ficus Forest

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 am

Another consideration is that these are apparently standard F. benjamina, with large leaves. Keep them pinched & trimmed, with the smallest branches at the top. You want to encourage it to make twigs & smaller leaves.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind when repotting next. For now, I want to give it some rest. I know ficus are very forgiving, but I nevertheless did manage to loose a good few!
The growing season here in North Western Europe isn't just long enough (for plant and mankind!!)

The whole planting is about 25 cm/9.8 inch high and the leave size is about 1x2 cm/0.3x0.7 inch.

Anne

Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down