Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California

2 posters

Go down

Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California Empty Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California

Post  Noghrestchi Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:40 am

Hello,
I have the opportunity to collect a mature Juniper from a front yard (a friend's), and I appreciate any recommendations to make the process successful!
Thank you,
Z

Noghrestchi

Back to top Go down

Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California Empty Re: Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:46 pm

It can be done at this time, but unless you're a good horticulturalist and can provide excellent aftercare, I'd recommend waiting until next spring if possible -- or, at the very least, this fall.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California Empty Re: Collecting / transplanting Juniper in N. California

Post  Noghrestchi Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Thankas Jim!
Any recommendations or links I can find tips and methods?
If I don't they will take it of to discard it. So I'll try my best!

Cheers,
C-

Noghrestchi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Well, I'd recommend putting it right back in the ground. So dig THAT hole before you go to dig up the plant. Find a spot with morning sun and afternoon shade. Fill the hole with water before you leave so it will have soaked into and around the hole.

If the tree you are digging is large, be sure you have someone to help you tote the root ball. Try to get a rootball that is at least 1/2 the diameter of the original canopy. A plastic (or burlap) wrap of some sort will help you keep the soil and roots all together. Place it carefully in the wheelbarrow or whatever you are using to transport it to its new home.

Put it directly (and carefully in the hole you have dug. Be sure that the old and the new soil levels will be very close to the same (you don't want to bury your tree deeper than it was. Fill in carefully around the tree (you can add Osmacoat to the soil as you fill, if you like) and tamp the soil down. Add more soil, if needed. Then flood with water. Prune the top back quite a bit (always leaving foliage on the branch being pruned.)

Keep it moist but not soggy, and hope. Leave it alone for at least this year -- and preferably next year, too.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down