Root-over-rock privet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root-over-rock privet

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Suggestions for refinement sought on this root-over-rock privet (Ligustrum sinensis). It stands 6 inches over the pot rim.

The pot itself, is, I think a bit too large, though I like the off-white pot with the off-white stone.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Root-over-rock privet

Post  Kev Bailey on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 pm

For me there's too much of a "catapult". I'd lose a trunk, probably the one on the right, and go for a more convincing windswept on a rock.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 pm

I'll fiddle (digitaly) with that and see what happens. Thanks, Kev.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 am

Kev, I agree about the right side trunk, but for me the reason is because its girth seems about the same size as the root over the rock. I know what a catapult is, but I don't understand your use in reference to this tree. Could you enlighten me, please? Thanks.

Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:28 am

Slingshot.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilD3 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Jim,
I also agree with Kev. May also make a nice semi cascade using the long shoot on the left. What does the back look like?

If you did that, a much much smaller pot would be needed, I am kind of a fan of using a relatively small pot. How does this look? Light blue or green would also look good.

Neil

NeilD3

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:17 pm

The back doesn't work. I digitized out both of the trunks; neither worked real well for me. I'll see what other options I can develop. There's no hurry.

But one of the sides might.

or

I like that pot. I want white or cream.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks Jim, as soon as you said sling-shot, I saw it. Laughing

Carolee

Back to top Go down

jims privet

Post  moyogi john on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 am

I do not mean to go againest anyone but i like the tree as is.. the trunks make a "u" as i see it far enough apart so they look good togather.study it a while befor any chopping is done.. my opion only.. john

moyogi john

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilD3 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:17 am

Jim,
The pot is from the tokoname website. I found it in the gallery.

The "slingshot" may work with the tree rotated a bit, then create a more compact crown. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Neil

NeilD3

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:38 pm

I ended up taking Kev's suggestion. I put it in a larger and deeper (plastic) pot for recuperation.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:53 pm

Jim,
This looks MUCH better. Any thoughts on a pot for next spring? Maybe something shallow and oval would be a good fit. Huge improvement over the first image.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Much, much better, I like it a lot now.

I would see it in a round, deeper pot, a cascade pot, but the option with the shallower oval pot might work well too, it's a matter of personal taste and how you intend to develop the main branch.

Keep up the good job Wink

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum