Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!!

+11
gaitano
moyogijohn
my nellie
Billy M. Rhodes
Katoom
cram
coh
William Feldman
drgonzo
Jesse McMahon
Mr Miyagi
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Empty Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!!

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 am

Hi IBC,
This tree belongs to my father. He started it from a seed 15-20 years ago. He collected the seed pod whilst on holiday, he believes in Greece but he cannot remember so could be from almost anywhere. He doesn’t think it’s been re-potted for around 5-10 year but again is not sure. Looks to be very root bound in very poor soil.
Does anybody know the species? I gather it’s a variety of Mimosa.
Sorry the leaves are closed, the picture was taken at night.

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Sam_2017
Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Sam_2018
Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Sam_2019
Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Sam_2020
Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Sam_2021

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Empty Re: Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!!

Post  Jesse McMahon Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:12 am

looks like mimosa to me, but i'm nowhere near an expert. my local carolina variety closes up just like that one at night though, and the bark is definitely similar. i like it!
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:00 am

Yup Thats Mimosa (Albizia) Iris would probably be able to tell you exact species and genus. I've got one growing out in a 5 gallon.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks Jesse.

Forgot to say it’s only ever been kept indoors. Unsure if this is right for it all year round. I live in the south west of England so would assumedly come in for winter.
Done a virtual to show where I'd like to get it but this will be hard without knowing how to care for it properly.

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Virtua10
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:05 am

Thanks Jay, If Iris could tell me would be fantastic.
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:09 am

It might be a Royal Poinciana, (Delonix Regia). The leaves are similar to a mimosa's but the blossoms are different.

Does your father remember what the seed pod looked like? Here's a link to a photo of a mimosa's seed pod: http://miraclesandmadnessinanaustingarden.blogspot.com/2010/10/mimosa-seed-pod.html

And here's a poinciana seed pod: http://www.flickr.com/photos/plant-trees/3702816942/
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:20 am

the bark is VERY similar to Mimosa but what a treat it would be if that were a Poinciana...stunning flowers!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:46 am

Hmm, I'm not so sure that's albizia...at least not the one we typically see around here (albizia julibrissin). Need to see it with the leaflets open. I've also got one growing out in a nursery container, and it has many more leaflets on each leaf. Maybe there is variation in the species? It's definitely related, though.

I don't think A. julibrissin would like to be kept indoors year round...it (at least some cultivars) do quite well as landscape trees here in zone 5/6 in western NY. Maybe this is one of the tropical mimosas?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:19 am

"I don't think A. julibrissin would like to be kept indoors year round"

I had thought that too Chris, when he mentioned it living inside year round..
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:28 am

Also in all its life it has never flowered. Thought this could be to do with the pruning technique or the fact that it has always be inside.
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

it looks also lika a kind of cassia...look on google pictures
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Katoom Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Mr Miyagi,

Looks like from mimosa family: Leucana glauca. Called Ipil trees in the Philippines.

Here's a link: http://www.stuartxchange.org/Ipil-ipil.html

Cheers,

Jon

Katoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:22 pm

I would look at trees common to Greece. There are a lot of similar species and I would think it would be impossible to ID this without a flower.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm

I agree with Cram.
It looks like a Cassia more than like a mimosa julibrissim.
The leaves of mimosa are smaller.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Mimosa or not ???? UPDATE!!!! Empty mimosa or not

Post  moyogijohn Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm

I like the way the tree looks,,,mimosa or not !! I am goining to look for a mimosa come spring..do they all close ther leaves at night like a rain tree????? nice one take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:31 pm

moyogijohn wrote:I like the way the tree looks,,,mimosa or not !! I am going to look for a mimosa come spring..do they all close their leaves at night like a rain tree????? nice one take care john

There is a large family of trees related to legumes (beans) that have compound leaves, tend to close up when stressed or at night, and have bean like fruit of various sizes. A bonsai size Brazilian Raintree will have bean about two inches long, at the most. A Royal Poinciana will have a fruit about two feet long.
The trees in this family are sometimes called "sensitive plants," because of this tendency of the leaves. They are difficult for an indoor show, because they will frequently close up in Air Conditioning.
In addition to the Brazilian Raintree we have the "Ear tree" where the bean like fruit is curved into a large brown, ear shape. The Texas Ebony is also in this family. They tend to be FAST growing also.
Yes, as far as I know they all close up at night also.

Last edited by Kev Bailey on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded AC to Air Conditioning)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 am

Billy- i've had a sensitive plant in my yard for years and never knew it was in the same family. i love the plant and the flowers that it gets (and touching the foliage to wow visitors) and i was wondering if you could offer any advice on propogating it. there's just one clump on the hill in the yard. it flowers every year, but doesn't expand very much at all per year.

thanks for expanding my knowledge of plants. sorry to hijack the thread for a second as a result.
J
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 am

Mimosa Pudica can easily be rooted by softwood cuttings in spring, You can probably do thicker woody stuff to , these guys seem to root out fairly easily. I wish I could put mine in the ground to get a good trunk size, alas she would freeze. So she grows in her ever increasing pots...grows fast too!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:54 pm

thanks, jay! will try a few cutting when the spring comes around and see about this.
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  gaitano Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I have a Mimosa that I cultivated from the backyard. I back up to a creek in St. Louis MO and we have Mimosas growing wild along the creek bed. I also had one in my yard for awhile. [b] I have a pic of the one I took from the backyard and a pic of what mature full grown trees look like [justify]

gaitano

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 am

gaitano wrote:I have a Mimosa that I cultivated from the backyard. I back up to a creek in St. Louis MO and we have Mimosas growing wild along the creek bed. I also had one in my yard for awhile. [b] I have a pic of the one I took from the backyard and a pic of what mature full grown trees look like [justify]

Be careful, as Mimosa pudica (herbaceous tender perennial) and Albizia sp. (the tree commonly called 'Mimosa') are different plants.
Though both are a lot of fun to work with!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  tilly1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 am

Looks like Leucaena leucocephale or similar for me.
Have a lot of them in training. Very nice to work with.

I just found this forum very nice.
tilly1
tilly1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi all, Anyone know a good time of year to re-pot this in, I believe Zone 8 South West England? My mother decided the seed pod was collected in Spain.
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:54 am

I dont think it is an Albizia, definately not julibrissin (silk tree) maybe Albizia adianthifolia.. but they are extremely fast growing.
definately not Delonix regia.... their leaves are leathery and more greyish green than green. (the trunk would have swolen by now)
Then nodes on the bark is tell tale of Mimosa pudica. if you touch it and it folds up, then definately mimosa!
All of the ubove mentioned plants need bright light, full sun.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Sorry mistake...Delonix regia is the Flamboyant, Flame of the forest, Fleur-de-paradis, or Poinciana, very difficult to grow outside the tropics and sub-tropics... Delonix pumila has got the grey green leaves and caudex.
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next