Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternative to jin pliers

4 posters

Go down

alternative to jin pliers Empty alternative to jin pliers

Post  momcat66 Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:42 am

I have some juniper I plan to jin. Being new to bonsai, I don't have jin pliers yet. Is there a decent alternative anyone has used? Something that could be found at a home improvement store? If not, any recommendations when shopping for jin pliers? I can't spend a ton of money. Thanks!!!
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

alternative to jin pliers Empty Re: alternative to jin pliers

Post  Jesse McMahon Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:15 am

i've seen it done with regular pliers. a pipe wrench with the longer handles can make it easier to crush the fiber, but pliers come in a variety of sizes and shapes. hope that helps.

Jesse
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tona Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:26 am

I use a combination of channel locks for squeezing the live bark and a few different needle nose pliers for peeling bark. They work well so far. I need to invest in real jin pliers though.
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I really dont know the quailty of them but http://www.stonelantern.com/ has real cheap tools. I mean knob cutters for $11.95. I kmow usually you get what you pay for but they should last awhile.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 am

I've been playing around with needle nose pliers. So far, they seem to be okay. I did score a dremel set for $12 at a garage sale today though. Made my day!!! Very Happy
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down