Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers

2 posters

Go down

Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers Empty Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 am

Hello!
The intruders are only 1-2mm.
They are hoping.
They do not have long back legs (at least I cannot see them)
Their feelers I cannot make out.
I have spotted two bigger grey-beige in colour.
I have sprayed two times with insecticide but they seem unaffected. Actually I have not find any of them lying dead on the bench....
I believe they are grazing on my trees.

Do you have any ideas what are they and how I can get rid of them?
Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentuckyranger/3683281653/in/photostream#/photos/kentuckyranger/3683281653/in/photostream/lightbox/
you can see something like the intruder BUT mine are all green.

Thank you for your attention!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers Empty Re: Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Probably one of the scads of "leafhoppers." They are one of the sucking insects. They do most damage to food crops -- lettuce, beets, etc. -- but some suck sap from leaves of shrubs and trees. Damage is mostly cosmetic, though in some plants (I do not know which, but have never heard that common bonsai species are among them) they can pass on viral and other diseases.

Google leafhopper.

Here are pictures of the MANY varieties: http://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+hopper&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1600&bih=731
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers Empty Re: Tiny, Green Bugs, similar to Grasshopers

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 pm

That's the one! Thank you, Jim!
And I read that : "Damage by leafhoppers in foliage becoming dwarfed, crinkled and curled. The leaves also appear brown and chlorotic due to the toxicogenic effects of the leafhopper saliva" which is exactly how the leaves of my pomegranate (coming from airlayer) look like lately.
Since the "attacking enemy" is not numerous, I think I will try to find insect sticky traps. It sounds effective to me and I do not like to use chemicals for a third time.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down