Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larch Bonsai Zones

+10
Twisted Trees
my nellie
Brett Summers
Alain Bertrand
will baddeley
Jesse
RKatzin
bonsaisr
Jim McIntyre
Bonsai4life
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty Larch Bonsai Zones

Post  Bonsai4life Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 pm

I was planning on buying a larch pro-bonsai. I would like to ask if my climate is suitable for larch specie to survive. I live in Fresno, CA. Our summer sometime 100+, and 15+ for winter time. So can i have a larch bonsai in this climate of mine.

Thanks for any advices
Regards, Jason.

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty Re: Larch Bonsai Zones

Post  Jim McIntyre Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Psuedolarix kaempferi ( Golden Larch ) , may work . I suspect all other commonly found Larches would succumb to the heat .

Jim McIntyre

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 am

Golden larch is Pseudolarix amabilis. Larix kaempferi is Japanese larch. Beware of zone envy. If you would like to grow something like a larch in Fresno, get a cedar, like Cedrus libani. A cedar is an evergreen larch.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim McIntyre Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am

Golden Larch is also known as Pseudolarix kaempferi , though I think it may be an older moniker .

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PSKA2

Jim McIntyre

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Western Larch are common over in eastern Oregon, where the climate is hot and dry, but not here on the westside of the Cascade range. They grow here, but do not propagate on their own here, too warm and fuzzy. Try shopping your local nurserys to see if they are selling any larch for local planting (landscaping). While you're there see what they are selling to get an idea of what you can grow down that way.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm

The USDA site is usually correct, but not this time. Larix kaempferi is the accepted name for Japanese larch. Pseudolarix kaempferi is a synonym. Check names with the Plant List.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Such a fountain of knowledge Iris...I'm simply amazed haha
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks for all the wonderful advices, sorry for the late reply, my internet was down for a few days. uhm... so i guess larch is not an option for my climate. Sad i really like that specie.

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty ???????

Post  will baddeley Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:01 am

bonsaisr wrote:Golden larch is Pseudolarix amabilis. Larix kaempferi is Japanese larch. Beware of zone envy. If you would like to grow something like a larch in Fresno, get a cedar, like Cedrus libani. A cedar is an evergreen larch.
Iris

Whilst both belong to the genus pinus and share rosette like growth, the cedar is not an evergreen larch!

will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00 pm

You mean the family Pinaceae. I was speaking metaphorically. Larch and cedar are rather closely related and have a somewhat similar growth habit. Spruce & fir would not do well in California, so the nearest thing she could try that would have a similar appearance to a larch would be a cedar. Some of the Mediterranean pines have a similar juvenile growth habit, but they don't seem to do well as bonsai.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:15 pm

You know exactly what I mean Iris so no need for patronising. If you speak metaphorically whilst giving out factual information, you may confuse matters.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty phylogeny

Post  Alain Bertrand Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

BTW, and to my surprise, according to the tol project pinaceae page, cedar is no more related to larix than to any other pinacea, and laryx closest relatives are pseudotsuga to it may due too data scarcity.

Alain Bertrand

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:29 pm

OK, I stand corrected. I don't think Douglas fir would be too happy in California either, so it's cedar if anything.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:44 am

I am often told that our climate here in Australia is very similar to California. We get 100+ Summer days here and I was told I would not be able to grow larch. In fact my local bonsai nurseryman (300km away) refused to sell them to me. I was stubborn and bought some seeds and grew my own. They have been going well for several years although still quite small. As I grow other cold climate trees such as hornbeam I have organised to protect from the harsh Summer. I bought a larger one last year and that is also going pretty good.
I think the main issue will be does it get cold enough in the Winter for them to have a good dormant period where you are.
We usually get a few -2 deg celsius mornings through the Winter with frosty mornings but no snow but occasionally one hour away we do get snow on the mountain. This seems to be JUST cold enough.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:33 am

Well, Bonsai4Life, I have a larch for you. Fresno is in USDA Zone 9. The true larches are all from hardiness zones 2 to 5 or 6. However, the golden larch, Pseudolarix amabilis, has a range that extends to Zone 9. It looks like a true larch and is used for bonsai, so give it a try. Monrovia Nursery lists it, so you should be able to get it in California.
There are lots of pictures on the Internet of Pseudolarix bonsai, so get inspired. cheers
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : better information)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 am

Thank you everybody for great advices. i will give it a try. Wish me luck guys, Very Happy

thank you, Jason

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:56 pm

So, after 16 months, how is your larch growing?
I do love larches and a very kind person from IBC has sent to me a 4 years old seedling of Larix kaempferi to give it a try. You see I have the same zone problem like you have.
Thank you.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Bonsai4life wrote:Thanks for all the wonderful advices, sorry for the late reply, my internet was down for a few days. uhm... so i guess larch is not an option for my climate. Sad i really like that specie.
You're just going to have to move further north.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi all, I would only like to say that your ag zone is a starting place and not the only criteria to consider. I say this because your ag zone will only give you your minimum winter temp. This will tell you if the tree can survive your winters, but not reflect on if the tree can survive your summer.

Particularly with most Larch this is the time when you need to protect them. Zone wise I am in an excellent position, but when the summer heat is on I have to mist regularly or my larch will get yellow needles. The larch in the eastern part of Oregon begin to yellow in mid-summer, if it's a hot one.

IMMHO, larch should due ok in a 9a given careful tending during your summer months. It would be interesting to know if Jason ever got going with one. Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty Pseudolarix amabilis

Post  milehigh_7 Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:10 am

The question is, where do you find these? Not real common. cyclops

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty Larch Zones

Post  bonsaisr Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 pm

If Monrovia lists Pseudolarix, go to their web site. They have a link to tell you if any nurseries in your area sell ir.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:39 am

Hello, Rick!
RKatzin wrote:... ...IMMHO, larch should due ok in a 9a given careful tending during your summer months. It would be interesting to know if Jason ever got going with one.    
Rick
I thought you might be interested to know that the little larch has carried safely through the summer. Note, that this summer was not as hot as it could be in past years... Anyway, the tree is happily growing and getting fatter Very Happy 
Now, when it will start to shed I plan to move it to a balcony facing northwards to give it -hopefully- colder conditions.
I would also like to ask your opinion on a possible placement into the bottom compartment of the refrigerator.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi all, I would only like to say that your ag zone is a starting place and not the only criteria to consider. I say this because your ag zone will only give you your minimum winter temp. This will tell you if the tree can survive your winters, but not reflect on if the tree can survive your summer.
For that, you need help from the American Horticultural Society's Heat Zone map:

http://www.ahs.org/gardening-resources/gardening-maps
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Larch Bonsai Zones Empty Sorry to post to an old tread but this is the subject I'm interested in

Post  dhd47 Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:21 am

Greetings,

I just read about that the Japanese Larch trees I've purchased will not grow in my zone and I'm trying to find out if in fact this is true. I'm located in Virginia ag zone 6b-7a. I read how some had these trees grow in this area for a few years but after so long the trees died because the heat was to much or winters not cold enough. I really enjoy these trees so I hope I can keep them alive.

Dave

dhd47

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:27 am

dhd47 wrote:Greetings,

I just read about that the Japanese Larch trees I've purchased will not grow in my zone and I'm trying to find out if in fact this is true.  I'm located in Virginia ag zone 6b-7a. I read how some had these trees grow in this area for a few years but after so long the trees died because the heat was to much or winters not cold enough.  I really enjoy these trees so I hope I can keep them alive.

Dave

Larch do well up here in zone 6, so I would think that you would be ok. But, if there are experienced people in your area that say they don't do well there then I might think that they could be right.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next