Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California Juniper

+11
Russell Coker
PaulH
David Carvalho
JimLewis
jersanct
jgeanangel
Hawaiian77
dick benbow
Jeremy
will baddeley
mike page
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

California Juniper - Page 2 Empty Re: California Juniper

Post  mike page Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:50 am

David Carvalho wrote:Hello Mike,

Since I see this is a sensitive question in the forum I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to express my humble aprentice opinion and learn from it, since I'm fairly new to Bonsai. I have learned over the last years the we should read the tree and listen to it, since many times the tree itself gives us clues and requests certain types of design which in the end will bring a much more natural look to the final design.

When my un-trained eyes looks at the tree in 2002 I see many directions and possible designs but I don't discover that clue that would take me to a Bunjin design, it would be great to have Mike explaining the reason why he went to the option of a Bunjin Design...

Best regards,

Hello David and hello to Portugal

Why did I take the design path that I took? That's a difficult question. Could I paraphrase an old saying like this. I saw, therefore I went. Well, the curve of the trunk as my eye follows it, takes me to the left, so that why the design went leftward. Never fight the tree. Let it tell you where it wants to go, then follow.
I think this rule will almost always give the best result. If you fight the tree and force it to a preconceived idea, you may find the result to be unsatisactory.
When the path is laid out before you, follow.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  snobird Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 am

Thanks Mike and Jeremy and I could see with Jeremy's photos exactly what inspired Mike's approach. I think that when one reaches a certain point in one's bonsai career, you take artistic license to create something extraordinarily because now you know how to manipulate and work with your chosen medium. My aim is to one day in future create such an uncomfortable image of a tree that do not fit into the typical bonsai box we allowed our eyes to become accustomed to, but still reflects an image seen in nature. This tree however, in my view, is a perfect imitation of the ones that were seen in the photos.

snobird

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:53 am

Jeremy wrote: To my eye this tree is unbalanced, if it is to be considered within the bunjin style.
To me, finding the refined and reserved bunjin proportions are the most important thing, the feeling of isolation and silents the image creates in the viewer mind.

Good point.

I see an old, HEAVY, twisted trunk. I see a tree battered by wind and the elements. I see a windswept bonsai, but I DON"T see bunjin.

I guess like beauty, "bunjin" is in the eye of the beholder. Rolling Eyes
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:34 am

The California Juniper is not bunjin. My Japanese Black Pine avatar to the right is bunjin.
Bunjin is tall and slender with the foliage in the top third or quarter of the tree.
The proportions of the Cal Juniper are all wrong for bunjin style.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 pm

mike page wrote:The California Juniper is not bunjin. My Japanese Black Pine avatar to the right is bunjin.
Bunjin is tall and slender with the foliage in the top third or quarter of the tree.
The proportions of the Cal Juniper are all wrong for bunjin style.

Thank God. I guess we can agree on SOMETHING.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

This tree reminds me a bit of the famous rosemary Sandro Segneri created. (Sold to Peter Warren if I am not wrong - http://www.saruyama.co.uk/rosemary.php) Not that copying that tree would be the way to go with this one, but I think it has some similarities. My opinion is that a rather flat top doesn't fits this kind of tree with such a massive trunk, I believe a narrower and longer canopy (like on the rosemary) would justify this tree more...

Kind regards,

Hans
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:14 am

Just caught up with this thread after being a way for a couple of weeks and frankly I'm amazed that offering an opinion is deemed disrespectful and that being involved in bonsai longer than some people have been alive is a qualification????
I have NEVER told anyone what to do and NEVER will do.Just advised. This is a discussion forum...Or at least it used to be?
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 am

will baddeley wrote:Just caught up with this thread after being a way for a couple of weeks and frankly I'm amazed that offering an opinion is deemed disrespectful and that being involved in bonsai longer than some people have been alive is a qualification????
I have NEVER told anyone what to do and NEVER will do.Just advised. This is a discussion forum...Or at least it used to be?

You are right Will.
Longer Time exposure to something is not always equal to qualification and knowledge. (statement not for Mike)
...This is still discussion forum. Some people just don't want others to discuss things against their own ideas. not just in this thread.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2