Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected field maple - trimming question

2 posters

Go down

Collected field maple - trimming question Empty Collected field maple - trimming question

Post  aleph Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello everyone! I will be very grateful for helping me with this little confusion.

This year I've collected that ca. 30+ year old field maple. As you can see it was hard pruned leaving just naked trunk alone. From one month later up to this day it was normally fed and watered adding sometimes some seaweed extract or biostimulator etc. It seems that especially one shoot is growing on a very strong sap path (it became twice as thick as the other shoots) so I've trimmed it down to one leaf pair (still growing strong). Some apical meristems from stronger shoots were removed. I also pinch the biggest leafs every now and then. No wiring.

My question is could/should I trim all top and middle shoots down to 1-2 leaf pairs now or let them grow, heal the wounds and trim them in next spring? I am confused because I've read in a book that I can trim the shoot which has reached to 4-6 leaf pairs but don't know if it is applicable also in such case (collected naked trunk tree).

Thank you in advance Smile

Height: 63cm
Trunk diameter: 33cm (measured above the biggest right-hand root)

Collected - 04/16/2011
Collected field maple - trimming question Tyld.th
Collected field maple - trimming question Szczyt.th
Roots
Collected field maple - trimming question Korzenie.th
05/28
Collected field maple - trimming question Frontsmq.th
06/22
Collected field maple - trimming question Frontsmt.th

Last edited by aleph on Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Info added)

aleph

Back to top Go down

Collected field maple - trimming question Empty Re: Collected field maple - trimming question

Post  Marty Weiser Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:57 pm

I would probably let the shoots grow for most of the season. Your first trimming evened the energy out a little so you are getting growth in all of them. Now let them grow to heal the wounds, gain some size, and promote strong roots for next year. This fall after leaf drop you can cut them back to 3-4 nodes to make the tree easier to handle for the winter (leave a little long to allow for winter die back). In late winter you can then cut back to 1-2 nodes to start developing ramification. This might have to be repeated a few times to get good taper of the branches and apex.

I have a large trident that I cut back last year and let the top run to about 1.5 meters tall and over 1 cm diameter. I am letting the shoots from the 2nd node run again to fatten it up and heal the large cut back wound while starting to train the 1st node as the new leader next year. It was repotted this year which slowed it down a bit, but it seems to be working.

Last edited by Marty Weiser on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Collected field maple - trimming question Empty Re: Collected field maple - trimming question

Post  aleph Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 am

Marty thanks for your trident maple description. Probably I will just let it grow and do as you said, thank you! Smile

aleph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down