Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxwood - Root Over Rock?

3 posters

Go down

Boxwood - Root Over Rock? Empty Boxwood - Root Over Rock?

Post  Dex Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I just pruned this Boxwood(Morris Midget) for the first time the other day. I picked it up at a nursery because of it's roots. This is second time I've pruned something, so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I would like to accomplish a root over rock style or something similar, like putting the tree between two rocks or on the side of one on an incline. The nebari splits sort of, so I think it may look convincing.

Are boxwood trees good specimens for root over rock? Or should I stick to planting it next to or slightly on a rock?

Is it a good idea to undertake this in mid-summer or should I wait until early spring next year?

Boxwood - Root Over Rock? ACA717AC-orig
Boxwood - Root Over Rock? 402DD99F-orig
Boxwood - Root Over Rock? 8ED62D6D-orig
Boxwood - Root Over Rock? 0CEA484E-orig

Dex

Back to top Go down

Boxwood - Root Over Rock? Empty Re: Boxwood - Root Over Rock?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 25, 2011 4:39 pm

I just pruned this Boxwood(Morris Midget) for the first time the other day.

Looks like an ordinary boxwood to me, not a Morris Midget.

I picked it up at a nursery because of it's roots.

It does have nice roots

I would like to accomplish a root over rock style or something similar, like putting the tree between two rocks or on the side of one on an incline. The nebari splits sort of, so I think it may look convincing.

Well, convincing means that it is something we would see in nature. I am not sure a boxwood would look natural.

Is it a good idea to undertake this in mid-summer or should I wait until early spring next year?

This might be a question better answered by someone closer to your part of the country, but I would wait to mess with roots.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Dex Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for such a quick response Billy. I guess I can wait until next spring to repot this tree. I will keep an eye out for rocks that I think might compliment it, and I'll have them available for when I remove it from it's nursery pots. I've seen some pictures of a Boxwood planted through a rock. The image worked well for that particular instance.

As to the type of Boxwood, that is what it was labeled. But it had the species name for Kingsville, which I can't think of offhand.

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Wed May 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville', or any of the Buxus are one tree that seem to love to show off their roots. They are excellent for root over rock or stilt creations ( yes, I still do stilt trees). I'm growing several Buxus cuttings to be used as accent plants in larger landscapes.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dex Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Ah, perfect! Just what I wanted to hear. I took a couple cuttings when I pruned it. I had them in peat moss and yesterday took them out and put them in perlite and spaghnum moss. Now after reading more today I should have added perlite to the peat. I'm hoping transplanting them didn't kill them.

I'm in Springfield, Pa and I have the cuttings outside. Is that a good idea? I have them behind some other plants so they dont get torched by the sun. If these die I'll take more later.

RKatzin, I'd love to see some pictures for inspiration if you have the time.

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down