Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE

4 posters

Go down

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE Empty KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE

Post  MACH5 Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:35 am

Hello,

I have an older specimen of Acer Palmatum Kashima. Unfortunately, this year it got damaged by the cold, and as a result there is a lot of die back on most tips/buds of the tree. It's now showing promise again by budding back further down its branches. My question is should I leave it alone or could I repot this tree?

Thank you!
Sergio
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE Empty Re: KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:49 am

Where are you in NJ? I am in extreme South Jersey. I completed all my repotting about a month ago. Can you post a picture of the tree? Is it pushing buds or are the buds opening? How much rootwork needs to be done? When was the last time it was repotted? Does it need to be repotted? Are you slip potting or going back into the same pot?

P.S. I also have a 90 gallon reef.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:28 am

Thank you for your response. I am in northern NJ. I began my repotting about 3 weeks ago and I will be finishing up this weekend. All my maples are pushing now but leaves not out quite yet. The buds on the Kashima are pushing now. However on most branch ends there is bud freeze damage. It is safe to say that most are dead. Thus, the tree is trying and bud further back. It was repotted two years ago so I don't think is in desperate need of repotting. It's going back in the same pot. I was thinking of trimming about only an inch or less all around the root ball... nothing too drastic. But not sure if even this is advisable due to the damage it endured. See pics below. This were taken last year. I have had this tree for 7 yrs now.

[img]KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE IMG_7495[/img]

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE IMG_7563

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE IMG_7632

PS. Yes I also have a 90 gal. tank. It's an SPS system. Are you on RC or Manhattan Reefs?? I think we may be the only nuts to have both hobbies!!!

Confused Confused Confused
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 am

I think it would be ok to repot that very lovely maple.

I am a member of the NJ reefers club http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/ It's a great club. There are lots of members from all over the state. They meet once a month. They try to have four meetings a year in the North, Central and Southern part of NJ.

By the way... I love your tree.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 am

Thank you BONSAI_OUTLAW! I do hope I don't end up loosing any major branches. It really would be a shame. Time will tell, but I do see many tiny buds here and there popping up. Always a good sign for sure. I believe Kashimas are way more touchy than the standard A. Palmatum. At least that has been my experience.

I'm glad you think it would be ok to repot, since I had to make a decision this morning and went for it. I took a look and there were a lot of roots. So I decided to cut all around the root ball about an inch. Put some fresh akadama and hopefully I think this will also help revitalize the tree.

Not a member of NJ Reefers yet... I really should be Rolling Eyes What type of tank do you keep?
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:08 am

MACH5,

No advice from me on this tree,, just appreciating the very nice tree you have, the base of the tree is perfect and foliage is lovely.
Hope it can recover fast.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Thank you Jun! I appreciate the kind words. This recent event has been a source of stress for me. Not sure yet the extent of the damage. Too early to tell. At one point I thought it was a goner! But just last week I noticed the tiny buds all around so this gave me a lot of hope. A few secondary branches are turning blackish... for sure not a good sign but hopefully this will not impact the design too badly.

In any case perhaps this is a good thing since I need to open up the design particularly down below.

Thanks again Very Happy
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 pm

What a beautiful maple! Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I think what it's telling you is that it would be much happier living on the warm Gulf Coast than in New Jersey. Send it to me for a little R and R! Very Happy

Seriously, I hope it makes a full recovery.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 pm

I am really glad that you have considered opening up the design a little more. I really would like to see more of that trunk even in summer. Maybe those blackening branches will present a design opportunity for you. I also love the base on that tree.

I have a 90 gallon cube on a tall stand so that it is eye level, 36 gallon sump/refugium. Mostly softies with a few LPS. My wife likes the stuff that moves around and as long as I put stuff in there that she likes then I don't hear, "How much did that cost?"

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  andy mcconnell Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:37 am

andy mcconnell
andy mcconnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 am

I agree. This is your opportunity to restyle and open that lushious canopy up a bit. Also learn the lesson that this tree is touchy about her overwintering and try to provide better shelter for next year. Re-potting was a great Idea that quick trim of the roots will help produce nice new roots to help revitalize the tree. I have an standard apple that each year seems to take a hit to its tertiary branches but back buds and rebounds each year, this is just natures way of pruning our trees for us!

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Russell Coker wrote:What a beautiful maple! Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I think what it's telling you is that it would be much happier living on the warm Gulf Coast than in New Jersey. Send it to me for a little R and R! Very Happy

Seriously, I hope it makes a full recovery.

R

Thanks Russell! Yes maybe I should... for a small price of course Very Happy
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:31 am

BONSAI_OUTLAW wrote:I am really glad that you have considered opening up the design a little more. I really would like to see more of that trunk even in summer. Maybe those blackening branches will present a design opportunity for you. I also love the base on that tree.

I have a 90 gallon cube on a tall stand so that it is eye level, 36 gallon sump/refugium. Mostly softies with a few LPS. My wife likes the stuff that moves around and as long as I put stuff in there that she likes then I don't hear, "How much did that cost?"

Yes agreed! Here are a couple of close up shots of the base that I took last year. It is developing a nice nebari... pretty happy with this cheers

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE IMG_7598

KASHIMA MAPLE ADVICE IMG_7601
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 am

Sorry BONSAI_OUTLAW, I forgot to mention about your tank. That sounds like a great system! I love cubes!!! Ahh those wives and our hobbies... may they never meet!! Laughing
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 am

andy mcconnell wrote:https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t2325-reef-tanks

hi posted this a while ago
andy

Andy lovely tank/corals! Please post an FTS?? Sorry I missed this!! Crying or Very sad
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  MACH5 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:52 am

Guest wrote:I agree. This is your opportunity to restyle and open that lushious canopy up a bit. Also learn the lesson that this tree is touchy about her overwintering and try to provide better shelter for next year. Re-potting was a great Idea that quick trim of the roots will help produce nice new roots to help revitalize the tree. I have an standard apple that each year seems to take a hit to its tertiary branches but back buds and rebounds each year, this is just natures way of pruning our trees for us!

Hi, yes agreed! I have always provided this tree with protection. However we have had a crazy, intense winter and I remember taking the tree outside when the weather finally warmed up. One day I left it there for the night. The temperature was going down from the 40Fs all the way down to 10F!! I knew this but thought that perhaps becuse it was only during a few hours until temps went back up again the next day that all would be fine. Big mistake!! It really did not appreciate this and it's definitely letting me know!!

Mad Mad Mad
You're right this is the all natural way to pruning... just not liking Mother Nature's style Sad
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down