Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees

+19
CraftyTanuki
kauaibonsai
DuncanH
Stone Monkey
bonsai monkey
Rob Kempinski
Kev Bailey
Michael Winther
Peter E.
dick benbow
graham walker
Ian Warhurst
Chris Cochrane
Mike Jones
john pitt
Mark Cooper
Todd Ellis
Bob Bailey
John Brocklehurst
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees

Post  John Brocklehurst Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I've been busy lately making Jiita for displaying my shohin trees.

The first one was finished today and only has 1 coat of stain, 4 or 5 more coats will be applied over the next few days. It's made from an old oak floorboard that I spotted at a friends house, I also managed to persuade him to let me take a few more pieces of of wood from his fire wood pile.....he who dares wins !

The second one is made from off cuts of mahogany window boards.

Constructive criticism welcome.

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict0927
Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict0928
Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Mahoga10
Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Mahoga11

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty homemade jiitas

Post  Bob Bailey Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi John
After seeing them at the BSA at Willowbog my only criticism is I cauldn,t afford them at the Auction! Brilliant John,you cauld sell them in Japan.
See you at the weekend
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty homemade jiitas

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Great stuff John. Quality work and recycling too. Are they machine carved (Dremmel)?

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty Re: Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees

Post  John Brocklehurst Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks very much Bob,
I'm at B.O.B. on Saturday hopefully bump into you and the gang.

Thanks Will,
Yes mate, jigsaw, makita and dremmel.....followed by vibration white finger !!!

Take care gents
John

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty Re: Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 am

Very nice work, John!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 am

Many thanks Todd

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 am

Very nice work John ! See you soon. Mark & Ritta
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks very much Mark, hopefully see you on Saturday at Birmingham, another long weekend for you and Ritta !! Sleep

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  john pitt Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Definately getting more refined JB,
This one looks very light and delicate.

Have you had enough practice to tackle the big walnut log yet? Very Happy

john pitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Stunning work John.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Display slabs and slab stands for Japanese sencha/literati enthusiasts emphasize nature and craft. They were early proponents of bringing plants indoors & combining plants with naturally contoured objects for display. Better examples, whether the board lies flat or is footed, often have a bead on the outer edge of the meandering rim of the top. I imagine it would be worth the effort if carving a great crosscut slab.

Bead on slab edge...
Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Slab_w10
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:27 pm

good work john, they look great.

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

Mike and Jim
Many thanks for your compliments.

Johnny Boy
The Walnut log languishes in the garage, I've stripped the bark in preperation, an attempt will be made soon....possibly after a few bottles of strawberry cider next to the BBQ.......then I have somewhere to dispose of it if it all goes horribly wrong

Chris
Thanks for your insight. I've studied many photographs in the Gafu Ten books and online, and as you say, many boards do have the carved edge, also many have a flat or lightly chamfered finish.
I think it may be down to the density of the wood type and wether or not the slab is sliced from the end of the log (end grain) or along the grain. The wood I've worked with to date is only from planks etc and as such has the grain running along the board in one direction or another this unfortunately makes it difficult to retain an edge to the board, this may be why the japanese use Quince & Rosewood, also they use a lot of burred wood, again very tight grain.
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for better quality wood to work with, and I'll certainly be trying to add the bead to the edge.
Thanks for taking the time to comment

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  john pitt Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:42 am

I've got a piece of cherry wood john, small trunk, about 10-12cms dia,
you are welcome to take some slices of that to play with.

john pitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi John, give us a shout if you see me in Brum. My Juniper is being displayed on a nice burr that has been a combined effort in the making, be good to hear your views.

Until the weekend mate, see you there.

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Ian,
I'll be there on Saturday bud, I'll keep an eye out for you so that we can chat......

Good job my sons don't frequent the IBC......... grown men talking about slices of wood.........I get enough sh**e about the tree hugging What a Face

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I know it`s worrying isn`t it Laughing

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:03 pm

We tried one of the jiita's on Mark & Rittas stunning shohin display:

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict0929

We thought that a slightly longer board would sort the pyracantha shown

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty Current ne-taku (root table) project

Post  John Brocklehurst Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:56 pm

This is another root stand that I'm currently working on.
This one is thicker than the ones I've made before as I'm building up to trying the taller root stands soon, and wanted to get a feel for any added complications working with the thicker wood.

I swiped some pieces from a friends fire wood pile, it looks as though these were offcuts of oak gate posts or roof beams.

Starting point & end point

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict1225

Underside of stand

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict1226

Top of stand, ready for staining

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict1227

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Looking good John !! Smile
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty Home made Jiita's for displaying my shohin trees

Post  graham walker Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 pm

John,
I think some of my shohin could benefit from a couple of these.
Will see you at Sheffield on Sunday 25th Sept???

Graham

graham walker

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Mark, thanks very much.......the elusive root stand draws closer Rolling Eyes

Hi Graham, good to hear from you.
Yes I'll see you at Don Valley, I'll bring some pieces along for you to look at for ideas.....if I remember !
I'm usually in a full on panic trying to remember all the stuff for our club display affraid

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Here is the finished product with my potentilla at our annual club show last night.

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict1319

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty My blog

Post  John Brocklehurst Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Just to let you know I've set myself a blog up to showcase my stands and any displays I show, or displays I particularly enjoy whilst visiting bonsai shows.
Constructive criticism welcomed, please be gentle Very Happy

The link to my blog is shown below.

You've seen most of the pictures on here before, I'll add to the blog as I make new stands or see items that rock my world !

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Empty My next projects

Post  John Brocklehurst Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:41 pm

I'll be starting my next two projects soon.

The piece on the left is Elm (I think), looking forward to finishing this one as it will be the largest stand I've made to date, and the grain looks fantastic.

The piece to the right is reclaimed oak flooring.

Home made Jiitas for displaying my shohin trees Pict1320

I'll post them as they are completed.

John

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next