Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escallonia Update 2009

+15
Jeremy
Lee Kennedy
Stone Monkey
Paul Landis
Bob Brunt
Justin Hervey
petit-arbre
yenling
John Quinn
Ed van der Reek
Ian Warhurst
JimLewis
landerloos
Rick Moquin
sam
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Escallonia Update 2009 - Page 2 Empty Re: Escallonia Update 2009

Post  mike page Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Ian Warhurst wrote:Hi Mike, are you refering to my tree, Tony`s or both Very Happy

thanks anyway,

Ian.

Ian, I saw Tony's first, and made the comment. Now that I've seen your tree, same comment!

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am

Ian Warhurst wrote:Hi Tony, here is a picture of my Escallonia sorry the photo isn`t that good

IanEscallonia Update 2009 - Page 2 01011

Nice very nice indeed, why doesnt mine flower?
Its never been cut back since I dug it up 3 years ago.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Super trees guys!!

I'd never seen one as a Bonsai before until I saw a peice of raw material down at Green Lawns a couple of weeks ago. The trunk on yours Tony still looks like its in a state of flux and still moving. It reminds me of some ripple glass vases that I've got where it looks like the glass itself is still moving and will run down onto the table like a burning candle!

These 2 really make me want on but I feel that they might be a bit too large for me.
Thanx for sharing,
LP&B,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for the comments guy`s they`re very much appreciated. Peter, what do you use as a potting medium and what is your feeding regime. I repotted this tree in the spring of this year in a mix of akadama, composted bark and kyodama. then when it was established i sprinkled chicken manure on the soil surface and fed it once a week with miracle grow, I also give it the occasional dose of seaweed. Toward the end of summer i`ll give it chempack no. 8 or tomorite.

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:34 am

Ian-
Do you have much trouble with chicken manure producing too many weeds? Is it composted? Where I'm from in North Carolina we have chicken houses everywhere, but the litter has too much sawdust to be of much use in Bonsai.
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Preston,

I use chicken manure as part of my feeding schedule too. It's available in the UK as an organic fertiliser. We buy lage tubs of pelleted chicken manure. It is compressed, extruded and dried, so it has very little "aroma". You have to be a bit careful, as it is quite strong and could burn roots if applied too heaviily. I just scatter small quantities in the corners of pots or around the edge and let rain/watering slowly break them down.

I've done this for a few years and not had any problems. Weeds grow wherever their seeds exist or are blown. I don't think that this fertiliser would have any greater effect on weed growth than other feeds.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am

Ian Warhurst wrote:Thanks for the comments guy`s they`re very much appreciated. Peter, what do you use as a potting medium and what is your feeding regime. I repotted this tree in the spring of this year in a mix of akadama, composted bark and kyodama. then when it was established i sprinkled chicken manure on the soil surface and fed it once a week with miracle grow, I also give it the occasional dose of seaweed. Toward the end of summer i`ll give it chempack no. 8 or tomorite.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

its planted in a akadama, kiriyu mix and is fed with abraksas and fishthing in a bottle (stinks anyway), the fishthing 1x every 14 days and abraksas after condition of it.
But its still growing very slow, and rootgrowth is weak aswell.
Well I might take it with me in September to the Tony workshop here in Denmark.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2