Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repotting and potting and potting

3 posters

Go down

Repotting and potting and potting  Empty Repotting and potting and potting

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I've discovered that I don't bend over as well as I used to do. Actually, I bend just fine. It is the straightening up that is the big problem. At this moment, if I weren't sitting at my desk typing this, I'd be standing and showing a very close relationship to a croquet hoop.

Anyway, repotting is done. Coincidentally the last repot used the last grain of mixed up soil. I usually have to mix up a batch just for half a tree. I'll clean up the mess on the back deck in the morning.

I bet if you could put the roots I have cut this season end to end they'd stretch half a mile. I hate it when more than half the collection comes due to be repotted all at once. Thankfully, last year was the azalea year.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Repotting and potting and potting  Empty Re: Repotting and potting and potting

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:30 am

Jim, do you keep your new re-pots in a cold frame or cold house? This warm weather break has me itching to repot many trees, but I have to keep them outside on the ground, in mulch, near a wind break. Last year I lost a couple of nice trees after repotting due to a sudden cold snap. I had them sitting on benches and thought they would be fine. They weren't. Last year I vowed I wouldn't even think about repotting until mid-March and here I am again; wanting to repot because the weather is warm. I don't know if I'm impatient or ignorant or both Smile
I did dig a couple of conifers this week and potted them. I think they should be fine. Our forecasters are calling for overnight low 20's (F) this week. How did you make your decision that potting now was the right thing to do?
Thanks,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 am

Well, I checked the long term forecast from the weather bureau and from a couple of other forecasting services, no freezing weather for a month; double checked the Farmer's Almanac, rubbed my rabbit foot, spit over my left shoulder and had at it.

I'm always early. I don't do tropicals. Most of my trees are natives. All but one or two of them are living well within their USDA Zones, and those are easy to bring in if the weather does me dirty, despite the Almanac. My huge, unmovable, allegedly tender Podocarpus macrophyllus has already survived the low teens (13F), so anything else we have should be easily handled.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Right now, I'm with Todd--itching to start repotting, but holding off becauses I don't trust the weather to stay mild this early (and I am in zone 6b, not 7--although I bet that is going to change), and the buds still seem pretty dormant.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down