Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples

+2
jrodriguez
Khaimraj Seepersad
6 posters

Go down

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Empty Tamarindus - looking for large old examples

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Here are two images I took at Guayaguayare probably 89 or so, and this tree is no longer with us. It was at that time over 100 years old and supposedly planted by an Indian lady, who came to live and work on this coconut estate.

Note, the lack of surface roots, and this tree is probably about 100 feet / 33 m ? from the seashore, all the character is built into the trunk. Growing into a clay soil, with a thin layer of blown inland sea sand.
The branches were thick and had a great deal of movement.

As I get time, I will see if we have any other old Tamarind trees around the island.

The Tamarind is supposed to be native to Africa and it travelled to India and then world wide. Any images from Africa / India ?
Looking for close ups on the trunk, branches and texture of the bark on the tree.

You cannot see the texture on this tree, but it flaked off. The cork bark texture often seen is an in-between stage, at least on my island.[ T and T.]
Hoping for some images.
Khaimraj

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Ibc10

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Tam_tr10

Whole tree and sea in the background
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Ibc_110

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added on an image.)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Empty Re: Tamarindus - looking for large old examples

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Nebari
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Tamar10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Empty Re: Tamarindus - looking for large old examples

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Close up
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Tamar_10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Tamarind bonsai material ( featured in Lo Min Hsuan's Book Bonsai Journey/Bali ASPAC Demo)
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Tamari10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Khaimraj,

Tamarinds or Tamar Hindi (Indian Date) are very common in Puerto Rico. This particular tree is well over 200 years old and in classified as a 'Champion Tree'.

Like you said, the rugged/cork bark appearance is usual for young to intermediate trees. As they mature, the bark becomes silvery, with a turtle back pattern.
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Yes, Jose,

thanks, that is what I was looking for. Do you have any idea of how that tree got to Puerto Rico?

Also do you have an image of the whole tree ?
Anyone got a 300 year old ?
Oldest in the world ?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Khaimraj,

Tamarind trees arrived to the Caribean islands during the 1770-1790's. They were brought over by the Spaniards. The tree i feature as an example, was planted near an abandoned sugar cane plantation and might be even older than 300 years. I am planning to go back to it and take some pictures. It is really a great tree, old and beautiful.

The bonsai material I included in my pictorial belongs to me.

Kinds regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 am

Lovely old trees. Thanks for posting them.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Apparently 900 years old. From India

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples 06_big10

Last edited by jrodriguez on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples 05_big10
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Jose Luis,
That is one special tree and the rotted trunk is wonderful.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Empty Tamerindus

Post  tuyhoabob Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 am

So maybe what I'm seeing in many cases here are also this tree? I have noticed a similar growth pattern in these which resemble the pic posted by Jose Luis, the bark on most I see is pretty rough as well.

Thanks for posting the pics, those are some beautiful old trees.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 am

jrodriguez wrote:Apparently 900 years old. From India

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples 06_big10

Note the apex shape. Most bonsai artists would have the upper right branched pruned off.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:37 am

Rob,
Good observation.
As a bonsai artist would you shorten it up?
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:33 am

Jose,

much thanks.

Jerry and Rob,

I am more interested in how to get the trunk quality, and the negative / positive spaces. However more images are needed of other old trees, to really get a feeling for the maturity, and eventually the design.
Later.
Khaimraj

* So many speak of new styles, well here is one staring you in the face. Noble Tamarind.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 am

Should also be interesting to see what an ancient mango looks like, or guava or murraya p. or fustic or kaimaite or just about any tropical tree, for the so called --- new styles.
Khaimraj

* How about an ancient serissa or fukien tea ?
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Empty Tamarind Tree from India

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 am

Hi,

here are two pics of a Tamarind tree in Bellary, Karnataka, South India. The first pic gives you the overall view of the tree, the second one the closeup of the trunk. This tree is in a school compound where my grand father was a teacher... I guess the tree was around even then. What puzzles me is that I have not seen a trunk this gnarled for a tamarind tree before or after for that matter... It's my daughter in the green top next to the tree...

Tamarindus - looking for large old examples P1012310
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples P1012311

Being in a school.... the tree would have had kids sculpting it with their pranks which has made it this gnarled... just a possibility Smile

Here is another pic of a Tamarind tree which is on one of the busiest roads in Bangalore... the M G Road. I found this tree intriguing as it had the perfect scalene triangular apex... just like a bonsai does Very Happy
Tamarindus - looking for large old examples Tamari10

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Ravi,
love that gnarled trunk.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Ravi,

now how does one create a trunk like that? Cuts / stabs and an irritant in the wound ?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down