Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too)

+5
coh
Velodog2
Jay Wilson
Jay Gaydosh
JimLewis
9 posters

Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too)

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm

I find I still have a few photos from our "Pests" gallery at the old site. I thought I'd post 'em up here for your reference.

Please PM me if you think I've mis-identified any of these. And if you have a positive ID on some other critter, post 'em here. But be certain, please.

I'll be adding brief comments on each of these about how to combat them, if seen.

Aphids (and some caretaker ants)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Aphid_11

Azalea mealybug (looks like most mealybugs)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Azalea11

Whitefly
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Whitef10

Last edited by JimLewis on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Re: Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too)

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 pm

A few caterpillars.

Tussock moth
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Tussoc10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Tussoc11

Horned Devil (Regal Moth Larva) (University of Florida photo)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Regal_10

Tiger moth (I don't have a pic of the caterpillar)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Tiger_10

Swallowtail larvae (a fine example of camouflage)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Giant_10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Giant_11

And the swallowtail butterfly (who is a good pollinator, so if you see a swallowtail caterpillar on your trees, PLEASE move it to some other plant)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Swallo10

Long-tailed Skipper
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Longta10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Re: Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too)

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Mealy bug
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Mealy10

Scale (there are a gazillion kinds. We could use pics of others). This is on Japanese Mountain Maple.
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Scale10

Leaf skeletonizer (This is the result, not the pest itself)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Leafsk10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 pm

A hero or two. These insects attack and kill pest insects -- aphids, stinkbugs, caterpillars, etc.

Praying mantis (I've always thought it should be "preying." This is the Velociraptor of the insect world.
[quote]
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Mantis10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Mantis11

Ladybug (or Ladybeetle or Ladybird)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Ladybu10

Assassin bug (There are several kinds of these, too)
Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Assass10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Jim,

I don't know if this one is a hero or a zero, but we found it while camping in Missouri July 2008.

Jay

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Dsc06110
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:54 pm

I don't know my moths as well as I should, but many sphinx moths have "eyes" on their wings like that. They have a large green caterpillar, usually with "horns" on one or both ends. They like veggies. I've never found one on a bonsai, but . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Another good guy. Lichen mantis.

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Pc300210

Found it on one of my pines....only 'cause it moved.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01 pm

You'll only see the "good bugs" when dinner is available to them. It is a waste or money and effort to buy mantis egg cases or ladybugs unless the table is fully set and the banquet awaits.

But unless you are one of those who prefers the nuclear option in pest control and sprays at the first sign of a six-legged creature they will show up if you suddenly have a problem.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 am

Holy cow it's no wonder I've never seen a lichen mantis before. It was hard to see looking at a perfect picture of it.

I bought some mantis eggs in a futile attempt last spring to thwart some of the marmorated stinkbugs I am completely overun by.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:59 am

I bought some mantis eggs in a futile attempt last spring to thwart some of the marmorated stinkbugs I am completely overun by.

I have no idea whether anyone sells assassin bug egg cases, but you'd need these predatory bugs to catch their stinkbug relatives, I suspect. Mantises just don't move fast enough to catch many stinkbugs.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:28 am

You may be right as I have noticed quite a population explosion of assassin bugs. I think I counted about 7 immature ones in a small wisteria last summer, and they are usually kind of a rare sight. But the stink bug armies are enormous. And the assassin bugs scare me a bit as I've heard their bite is excruciating. But I don't kill them.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Twig girdler

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:09 pm

If you ever find that your tree is mysteriously losing branches, and they appear as if they had been cut with a pruner or a saw (branches from matchstick to 1+ inches can be affected), then you have "twig girdlers" -- http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1235222.

My "Live Oak" style boxwood suffered (or suffers) from them. Oddly, you all had told me last year to open up the canopy. Well, it was opened for me. (Note: Those things on the branch stub in front of my fingers are boxwood fruits. The tree bloomed profusely this spring -- as damaged trees often do.)

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Cut_110

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Cut_310

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) April-11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Many plants suffer from galls of one kind or another.  Galls are caused by injury to the plant, by an insect burrowing into a leaf or stem and creating a cyst, by viruses, by bacteria.  They seldom do more than cosmetic damage.  

Here's about as bad a case of oak leaf gall as I've ever seen (a dead leaf, but not because of the gall -- it's fall):

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Oak_ga10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Oak_ga11

Last edited by JimLewis on Sun May 03, 2015 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 am

The discussion about ladybugs got me thinking about them. Not only do the adults eat aphids and other critters, but the ladybug larva are also voracious predators. Here's a photo of one of them, for anyone who hasn't seen them in action:

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Ladybu10

Image from Cornell University, posted with permission.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Kudzu bug

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm

We in the Southeastern United States have a serious new imported insect pest to contend with. It is called, among other things (some unprintable) the Kudzu bug.

Scientifically, it is Megacopta cribraria. Like the stink bug (also a plant pest) and the assassin bug (a predatory "good" bug)it is a member of the order Hemiptera.

From Wikipedia: "Also called the Bean Plataspid, Kudzu Bug, Globular Stink Bug or Lablab Bug, it is a shield bug native to India and China where it is an agricultural pest of Lablab beans and other legumes. The bug, while harmless to houseplants and people, often enters houses. It is attracted to white surfaces such as the walls of houses or white vehicles where large numbers of the insects congregate." (Emphasis added.)

While we in the south might cheer that its favorite food is the voracious Kudzu, "the plant that ate the South," when Kudzu isn't handy it goes after other Legumes (pea family), including various pea crops, green beans, soy beans, and a host of flowers and trees (Mimosa, etc.). It is very fond of Wisteria.

The pictures below are from a wisteria growing on a trellis at the front of my house. I've been spraying (a Pyrethrin and Rotenone spray) for the last couple of weeks, so these are just the few that were left. At one time the vine's branches were double size because of the thousands of these critters that were congregating there. So far, I have found just one on my Wisteria bonsai, but I'm watching closely. The vine is at the front of the house and the bonsai are in the back. The vine, however, is on a white trellis, and the insects are attracted to white surfaces. The house is medium gray and the bonsai tables are brown.

The insect was first seen in the US near Atlanta in 2009 and undoubtedly came in as an unwanted part of some shipment of plants or vegetables. It is spreading into nearby states.

Like with the exotic (and also invasive) Japanese lady beetle, it emits a foul odor when touched or crushed. The Kudzu bug is slightly larger than a lady beetle (the size of a man's pinky fingernail).

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Kudzu_10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Kudzu_11

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Kudzu_12

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Kudzu_13
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Kudzu bugs

Post  jgeanangel Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:15 pm

THanks for the heads up Jim. The kudzu bugs showed up here last fall...by the thousands...and man do they stink! At first only saw them on the light colored vinyl siding, then this Spring they jumped my big wisteria. After a couple treatments of a pyrethrin they seemed to have settled down.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Neodiprion sertifer - European Pine Sawfly larvae on Pinus sylvestris. They defoliate last years needles with devastating rapidity! Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Img_5510
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Saddle10

Sibine stimulea, or Saddleback Caterpillar. I've grown up around these guys my whole life and avoided an incident. This morning I went outside to look around my garden after an overnight storm and in the process of moving a branch on a small Maple I just barely brushed against this little character before I noticed it was there. Discovered another within two minutes of looking around in the immediate vicinity and my hand is now hurting pretty nicely. Probably not the worst of pests for your bonsai, but look before you leap. I learned my lesson today.
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Here is a very interesting link with lots of garden "hero"

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/ (scroll down to see the list w/ pics and links)

I just learned that I have milkweed assassins in my garden. Cool! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty swallowtail or moth larva

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I haven't been able to precisely ID this fellow.  I found him doing nothing on one of my Pyracantha.

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Moth_o10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Moth_o11

So if anyone definately knows him, please supply an ID. As you can see, he is leaving me a souvenir of our encounter.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Empty Oak gall (Wool Soarer wasp Callirhytis seminator)

Post  JimLewis Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Ahh spring. It's the time for new green leaves on the oaks in your yard and on your tables, AND it's the time for oak galls to show up. Google can tell you a lat about various plant galls. Here in NC we have http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/trees/note05/note05.html .

Here in my yard, on an Eastern White Oak, I've found the Wool Soarer Gall -- named after the wasp that causes it.

If you find galls on your trees -- whether oaks, azaleas, or other species -- DO NOT PANIC. Gals do not harm the tree (except to its looks). Cut or pull (if possible) it off. Gall are caused when any of several insects lay their eggs on a branch or a leaf (there's another picture of an oak gall on a leaf in this Pests thread). The insect larvae inside the galls do no harm to the tree, apparently getting nutrients from the gall itself (see the link above).

Here is the wood soarer gall, Callirhytis seminator:

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Oak_ga10

Rogues Gallery of bugs and critters (with a few Heros, too) Oak_ga11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down