Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(The problem with) Colorado blue spruce...

+9
guy ward
Joe Hatfield
peter keane
Walter Pall
Alan Walker
Roger Snipes
Alain Bertrand
greerhw
AlainK
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

(The problem with) Colorado blue spruce... - Page 2 Empty Re: (The problem with) Colorado blue spruce...

Post  craigw Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:30 am

Beautiful trees Alain, You some times see needle juniper grown in the same style.
I think the world needs a slow gardening movement much like people have done with food. I run a retail plant nursery (not bonsai) and constantly get people coming in wanting fast growing trees. I always try to explain to them that fast usually also means huge and ultimately troublesome and that moderate to slow growing trees are always a better option. I love slow growing plants and have no problem waiting for thing to develop at their own pace.
Most of the bonsai I grow these days I start from seed or cuttings and slowly develop them section by section, its a very rewarding pastime.
With thanks from Craig

craigw

Back to top Go down

(The problem with) Colorado blue spruce... - Page 2 Empty Re: (The problem with) Colorado blue spruce...

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 pm

In all honesty I think the Western Bonsai Community has a problem with Spruce Bonsai in general not just Colorado Blue Spruce in particular. Spruce are demanding to work with due to the fact that they are like recalcitrant children; no matter how hard you try to train them they have minds of their own and always seem to return to where they were before. It takes years of constant wiring to get them to submit, especially if the branches involved are more than five years old. They are however; worth the effort. In the spring the contrast between the last season's growth and the new years emergence is almost like flowers it is so striking.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:00 pm

'...almost like flowers it is so striking...".

At dusk, it looks like the tree has lights on it...impressive...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 am

So, it's not a "Z-shaped" tree, the kind you can find in major exhibitions, with dead wood that hides the surgery.

It's still in training, major work to be done on the top and on the left, but it will look like a tree I hope Neutral

(The problem with) Colorado blue spruce... - Page 2 Mini_piceapg-110427
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2