Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you apply plastic bags for humidity?

4 posters

Go down

How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? Empty How do you apply plastic bags for humidity?

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 pm

I was reading a recent post for a willow leaf fig and Iris suggested putting a plastic bag over the tree for humidity. Would members please share, here, how they do this? I have a Serissa and a Sageritia that are struggling and I think extra humidity might help, but I know constant watering is not the answere (rot potential). Thank you for your help.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? Empty Re: How do you apply plastic bags for humidity?

Post  Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Dear Todd Ellis

I send you a photo of how I do...It is important to keep it airtight and watertight ( in the bottom). I have my ficustrees in a southwindow, They love it when the sun shines, here in the winter.

Kind regards YvonneHow do you apply plastic bags for humidity? Img_5715

Back to top Go down

How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? Empty Re: How do you apply plastic bags for humidity?

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Wow, they look lush!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Todd,
I used wire coat hangers to build a frame and then wrapped it in a couple of layers of household plastic wrap. This seems to work well and keeps the leaves from touching the plastic, which can cause mold on the leaves. I will post a pic later.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Dear Todd Ellis

Yes, together with the watertrays are they are living in paradise....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:49 am

Or, do what I do. Use an aquarium. Works amazingly.

How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? 001-61

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Ryan, do you use aquarium tubes for lighting?

Cheers

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 am

RichLewis wrote:Ryan, do you use aquarium tubes for lighting?

Cheers

I use just a regular fish tank light with T-12 light bulbs. One cool and one warm. There is a built in reflector on the hood to help concentrate the light. I couldn't find a regular shop light with a reflector, so I just used an old one I had lying around from fish tanks from the past.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:38 am

Hey Todd,

I also use old fish tanks, this is one I crrently have a big layer in. The layer is a multitrunk Callery pear 6.5" total dia, it caloused but would not root on the mother tree, now on its own, so far looking good. How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? R0014410 How do you apply plastic bags for humidity? R0014411

I have sometimes used a tank with shadecloth over to house minis if i am going to be away for a few days, can give rise to mould issues if your away too long but good for the plants not drying out.

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Ryan wrote:
RichLewis wrote:Ryan, do you use aquarium tubes for lighting?

Cheers

I use just a regular fish tank light with T-12 light bulbs. One cool and one warm. There is a built in reflector on the hood to help concentrate the light. I couldn't find a regular shop light with a reflector, so I just used an old one I had lying around from fish tanks from the past.

Ah ok, that's pretty straightforward. I too have assorted odds and ends lying around from past fishkeeping days, the pre-bonsai era, will have a chance to put it back into commission!

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:37 pm

The fish tank seems like a good way to go; more durable and maybe I could keep a few frogs over the Winter Very Happy
I always seem to have a tank around and providing constant humidity should work with the gravel bottom; making usre not to let the trees sit in water.
I appreciate everyone's input - you rock!!! Bagpiper thumbs up

Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down