Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weird brown spots on dwarf jade

4 posters

Go down

weird brown spots on dwarf jade Empty weird brown spots on dwarf jade

Post  Bonsai rookie Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 am

Hi. I recently acquired a dwarf jade bonsai tree. It looked beautiful in the store. But after it left the store shelf it has since dropped 90% of its leaves and now only has two leaves left. I am new to bonsai ownership and obviously I have a lot to learn about how to take care of these temperamental beauties. Here is a picture of the leaf in question. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please help me save my bonsai. weird brown spots on dwarf jade Bonzai14

Bonsai rookie

Back to top Go down

weird brown spots on dwarf jade Empty Re: weird brown spots on dwarf jade

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 am

There are a couple of possible reasons why your Jade would drop leaves.

1. Overwatering, poor drainage, Jade is a succulent and too much water causes the roots to rot, which results in leaf drop and death of the plant. Does the plant have rocks glued to the surface of the soil? If so, break them off and check the soil. Check the soil anyway, how does it look and/or smell?

2. Cold, this is not a cold hardy plant. Exposure to cold drafts could result in leaf drop. Even carrying the plant from a store to your car in cold temperatures can result in damage.

3. The damage to the leaf you display looks like an insect. But that may be unrelated to your leaf drop.

Please describe where you are keeping the plant and your care regime.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am

Do you have a cat?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

weird brown spots on dwarf jade Empty weird brown spots on dwarf jade

Post  Robert J. Baran Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Please see http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Portulacaria.html ; and specifically http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Portulacaria2.html#Temperament . Dwarf jades do require a good amount of light. It is possible that your plant is going through major readjustment from the light, watering and temperature it was used to.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

weird brown spots on dwarf jade Empty RE: weird brown spots on dwarf jade

Post  growlikecrazy Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello this is one of problem happened in leaves. Natural manures and fertilizers are very beneficial for farming and gardening. Chemical fertilizers are harsh in nature and sometimes spoils the garden.

growlikecrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down