Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California Juniper.... the beginning....

+6
jersanct
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
Hawaiian77
Ravi Kiran
alonsou
10 posters

Go down

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Empty California Juniper.... the beginning....

Post  alonsou Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:16 am

Today it was our Bonsai club x-mas party we had a really good time with lots of food and items for the raffle.
I feel like the luckiest man on earth...... as part of the raffle I was able to take home a California Juniper.... affraid ...... collected by (at least my personal opinion) the person with the most knowledge about CJ's anywhere around here "Mr California Juniper" Harry Hirao. What a Face

It's an amazing piece of material, 34" tall from the soil line, 32" branch span, 4" wide trunk (at the widest point), even it has a reverse taper, but that could be fix later on.

The president of our club Mr. Manny Martinez also provide me with some tips about how to take care of it, but I think I will need more than that, I'm even scare to look at it, it's a very impressive tree to me personally.

Take a look at it, and tell me what you think maybe a quick virtual of it future design, and what should I do with it, any advice will be highly appreciated like always.

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Dsc_4812

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Dsc_4813

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Dsc_4814

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Dsc_4815

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Dsc_4816
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Empty Re: California Juniper.... the beginning....

Post  Ravi Kiran Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:36 am

Hi Alonsou,

Congrats on your raffle win. Its a terrific piece of material and has an excellent chance to be a masterpiece. What makes the win sweeter is that it was collected by Mr. California Juniper - Harry Hirao himself. Have a wonderful time and do share progression pics as time passes by. Shall be very interested in this wonderful tree.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Empty Re: California Juniper.... the beginning....

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 am

Howzit Alonsou,

Nice score man!! ThumbsUp ThumbsUp A lot of potential there. Good luck and keep us posted.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm

How lucky!

You are a very new beginner in this sport. I strongly suggest that as you learn, you work with other, experienced bonsaiests in your club. Ask advice from them on watering, when to repot, on pruning and trimming and wiring and teting the deadwood. Do it WITH them.

You will be surprised at how fast you learn, and this very nice tree will not suffer from newcomer mistakes. (It'll help you develop an eye for purchase on better material for making your own bonsai, too.)

Good luck. Not many of us get a tree that nice so early in our careers in bonsai.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks guys for your comments,

Trust me Jim, I don't plan on touching this guy all by myself, to begin with its too heavy to even try to repot it myself, it might weight somewhere around 50 to 70 lbs, so I will need help of my fellows at the club. Next month we are having a "Bald Cypress" workshop and I can't take it then, so I will ask some of the guys, if I could get some help for the following month, that will be somewhere around February, so until then, there will be no more updates on this thread.... Very Happy
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Not to add to your anxiety but.... you have a wonderful tree, a gem! Very Happy Congratulations and best wishes to you and your new charge. You will do fine!
Best,Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:36 pm

alonsou wrote:I'm even scared to look at it

Cracks me up! I still feel that way about a few of my trees, after several years! I have nothing of this quality, though. Congratulations...you will be fine with the help of your fellow club members.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm

alonsou wrote:Thanks guys for your comments,

Trust me Jim, I don't plan on touching this guy all by myself, to begin with its too heavy to even try to repot it myself, it might weight somewhere around 50 to 70 lbs, so I will need help of my fellows at the club. Next month we are having a "Bald Cypress" workshop and I can't take it then, so I will ask some of the guys, if I could get some help for the following month, that will be somewhere around February, so until then, there will be no more updates on this thread.... :D

Hmmm. Unless you are going to carve the dickens out of it, most bald cypress workshops are essentially over in 10 minutes. Who is doing it?

You might take the tree just for discussion before or after th workshop.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Jim,

We are going to repot, trim and wire the bald cypress, its my first time at Bald Cypress, so I really don't know what to expect, I just know that they will be providing the trees, soil, training pot and wire for an incredible reasonable fee, there will be 2 prices, $50 and $100 trees, (about 24" and 36" tall and 3" and 4" trunck repectively) and the president of the club along with the vicepresident will be providing the workshop.

jersanct,

Trust me, I still can't believe I have something of this quality on my yard, it does means a lot to me since it was collected by Harry Hirao, I just can't ask for more, the feeling its similar like when my first child was born ... (ha ha ha) so I guess this is my new baby... Laughing
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

California Juniper.... the beginning.... Empty Congrats !

Post  Diamondlea Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Wow very nice ! congrats

I am sure you will take care of it just fine and with the wealth of information from everyone here...you can't go wrong !

Hey maybe you'll get lucky at the X-mas party next week at work too Smile

Best Wishes !
Leah
Diamondlea
Diamondlea

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 am

Hi alonsou

Congratulations, you have a very beautiful tree, with a beautiful story. Continue in this story. Very Happy ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Leah,

Thanks a lot, yes, I think I was very lucky last saturday Very Happy now I got to take care of it, just like a diamond when its first found/collected, I need to polish it to bring out the gem inside of it.

Pavel,

Thanks, I'll sure do everything possible to make this a great CJ bonsai, will keep everyone posted of its progress.
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  vev Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm

une idée?California Juniper.... the beginning.... 481910
vev
vev

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

wonderful!!!! thanks!! vev
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:50 am

Amazing Virtual Vev.... Too good... I have seen your other virtual for Faisal's Sabina Juniper and it is also truly exceptional. Great creativity and thanks a ton for that. Your designs I am sure will encourage and motivate our IBC friends in their bonsai journey.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Congratulations, Alonsou!!
The luck of the beginner, isn't it? Very Happy
Hope you will update this thread with every new work on this excellent tree.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down