Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

other hobbies

+10
Mitch Thomas
Dale Cochoy
Storm
Rob Kempinski
Hawaiian77
Jay Gaydosh
Todd Ellis
F. Waheedy
bonsaisr
Khaimraj Seepersad
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

other hobbies  - Page 2 Empty Re: other hobbies

Post  Guest Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 am

very busy Rob.

i Like the (a) nude woman a lot... Twisted Evil dont get me wrong,.. the artistic sense of it. Embarassed

regards,
jun Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:30 am

Rob,

is there anyway for you to get that Bonsai book to Amazon, other than me waiting for a 2nd hand copy to show up ?

Yes, I think you should try oils, maybe you might find the water mixable oil types of interest, seeing as you were accustomed to acrylics - Artisan by Winsor and Newton or Cobra by Talens.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

jun wrote:very busy Rob.

i Like the (a) nude woman a lot... Twisted Evil dont get me wrong,.. the artistic sense of it. Embarassed

regards,
jun Suspect

I can understand that (on both counts)! Very Happy thanks.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Rob,

is there anyway for you to get that Bonsai book to Amazon, other than me waiting for a 2nd hand copy to show up ?

Yes, I think you should try oils, maybe you might find the water mixable oil types of interest, seeing as you were accustomed to acrylics - Artisan by Winsor and Newton or Cobra by Talens.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj

I can send you a signed copy, send me a PM and we can coordinate.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Me too Rob. can I possibly buy a copy direct from you? bonsai book/s you wrote and novel please.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

jun wrote:Me too Rob. can I possibly buy a copy direct from you? bonsai book/s you wrote and novel please.

regards,
jun

Thanks Jun. I sent you a PM.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:57 am

Thought I should try to revive this thread.
One of my hobbies that takes up more time than the others is to make knives.
Just wanted to share my two last knives here. Not done, and haven't made the sheath yet. They need some more sanding, and oiling.
But, cant seem to decide if I want them natural colored, or some sort of stain. So, what do you guys think? Alot of the pattern in the wood will come out when I oil them, so they are a bit dull at the moment. One is stainless steel, the other has carbon steel and have the black color. The one with the black blade has a thin layer of oil, so it shows more movement than the other.
other hobbies  - Page 2 Dsc_0610

other hobbies  - Page 2 Dsc_0611

Sincerely
Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:48 pm

That is very creative storm. If the wood grain is very nice I'll go for a lighter tone of stain to define the wood well.

Btw. I don't make knives but I got some collection of knives too since my brother, an officer of the US army sent me some army knives.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey, thanks Jun.
What types are they?
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Nice knives Storm,
I also make knives.
I used to make powder horns and did a lot of scrimshaw on them and knife handles, and muzzle loaders, and motorcycle work and guns and I make grips for some of my pistols.
Oh! and I do pottery....

other hobbies  - Page 2 Arkans10

other hobbies  - Page 2 Arkans11

other hobbies  - Page 2 Arkans12

other hobbies  - Page 2 Arkans13
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Here is a serious Bowie knife I made

other hobbies  - Page 2 Bowie_10

other hobbies  - Page 2 Bowie_11

other hobbies  - Page 2 Bowie_12

other hobbies  - Page 2 Bowie_13
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Here is one of my powder horns. A small charging horn for a flintlock rifle

and, a scrimshaw tooth with a design I've used on knife handles and powder horns over the years. I no longer attempt the scrimshaw though.

other hobbies  - Page 2 Dale_p10

other hobbies  - Page 2 Scrims10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Very nice details there, Dale! Do you make the handles or the whole thing? Ive just started to take up some blacksmithing, and only made a few blades. Im going to focus on making the handles and sheaths first, so it doesnt take that long untill I have a knife ready. Im only up to 10 knives so far. The one on the first picture got a deep red color now.

Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Storm, the handles on these are all carved and fitted stag horn. Lots of time in the Bowie. it actually took me several years to finish as my buffer burned up mid-job on grinding/buffing. The moose inset was fitted using a dremel and stone bits. The blades are not made by me, they are semi-finished blanks with long tangs for working with them. The finger guards are rough castings that take lots of work to fit and polish.
To get the brass attachments to fit well I heat them red hot which anneals them and makes them real soft to form onto the knives, then with all the polishing they harden up again.

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am

Hi all
As I suspected thier are many artist among us. Everyones art is amazing what a varity of hobbies. I really like to paint and draw. When I was a younger man in college I was a fine arts major, then reality set in and switched to technical drawing. That was a lifetime ago now I love to hunt and fish with my son and granddaughter. I also love to shoot competitively. I also I've to bird watch while scouting for yamadori. The older get I just love to watch whitetail deer and many other wild life. I just love family and the out doors.

Mitch Thomas

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 am

I am a quilter-- both traditional and some of the more artistic genre. I spent time as a fine arts major myself.
Now I have a real job.

Libby

Last edited by bumblebee on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 am

I enjoy fly fishing for Large mouth Bass. I use large poppers and top waters that I tie myself. When you have an 8 pound Bass on the end of a fly rod it feels like you just caught Moby Dick.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:59 am

I like to golf, fish, sail, shoot (and collect handguns) and watch football just like my friends. They don't understand the bonsai, orchids and cooking, but their wives think it is pretty cool.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:07 am

Cheers guys. Great to see what you do. And Im glad so many enjoy spending time outdoors. These days it seemed like its a smaller interest than ever. Games and tv shows are what takes up most peoples time. I dont even have a tv now! Hehe.
But with work, and trying to be social, its hard to find time for hobbies. Ive played bass and violin, but I hardly do now, since I dont have time for it. Trying to start up a new band now. I go to a gym about 4 times a week. Bonsai, knives and whisky. And I try to spend as much time as possible in the nature. Also, im interested in shoot tooing. And archery.
So one of my deepest wishes are that there should be more hours in a day!
Ive figured that if you want to be really good at something, you shouldnt have that many things to do. But how can you exclude one thing, when you love doing everything? So I just think I gotta live with being average at all these things. But hey. I have a job, so its not like I need to be a professional at any of them.

Cheers
Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 am

I don't have many hobbies... work work work, I have recently picked up bonsai (as you can tell tell from my noob posts) but I have always loved old jeeps. I bought this one back in '06. It's a 1958 Willys M38A1 (first round fender jeep = civilian cj5)

other hobbies  - Page 2 Jeep110

This was after a few weeks

other hobbies  - Page 2 Jeep210

This is how it looks now (rebuilt engine, carb, new suspension, larger tires, etc.)

other hobbies  - Page 2 Jeep310

What do you think?

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:09 am

Nice piece of work! I could use a rig like that on some of my other hobbies. I'm an avid fungiphile (I like mushrooms) and during the rainy season enjoy getting out into the hills with my four Jack Russel terriers to gather chantrels and other edible mushrooms. My favorite, when they fruit is the matsutaki. I'm also into whitewater raftingother hobbies  - Page 2 Scan0010
That's me dropping over Raine Falls on the Lower Rogue River in a twelve foot cataraft (pontoon boat). A fellows got to have his relaxin' time!
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2