Anyone know how to care for Imported Pinus Parv. in Zone 7?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone know how to care for Imported Pinus Parv. in Zone 7?

Post  Todd Ellis on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 am

I bought a White Pine, grafted in Black Pine root stock, from a nursery in Shanghai, China this Spring. The tree is 40 years old and is growing very well. It is budded up for Spring. I Winter my trees on the ground, in mulch which covers the pots. They are up against the sides of the garage, three deep at most and have some wind protection. I read about Winters in Shanghai and am wondering if my "way" to Winter this tree is sufficient. Or should I build a cold frame or something? I am in Zone 7. I believe Shanghai is Zone 7-8, depending upon the micro climate... Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts about this?
Thanks you for your help. Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone know how to care for Imported Pinus Parv. in Zone 7?

Post  JimLewis on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:21 pm

I suspect the tree will be resilient enough to take the slight differences between zone 7-8 temps. MY concern would be having the trees on the ground. Every time I've tried that, the squirrels and other little chewing critters have tried to restyle my trees.

I'm in the border between zone 7-8, according to the new USDA map.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks Jim. So far, the squirrel "nuisance" has been minimal with my trees. This could change though. We are having a bumper crop of hickory and acorn nuts this year... which means pulling out seedling oaks next year... fun, fun fun... NOT! These oaks have taproots to Shanghai! affraid bounce
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum