Jardin Botanique - Penjing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jardin Botanique - Penjing

Post  JimLewis on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:30 pm

As I am more partial to penjing-like trees than formal, Japanese/Western-style bonsai, I took more pics of the Chinese display than either of the other two "bonsai" gardens.

Jackie and David Easterbrook at the Chinese garden entrance.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Jardin Botanique - Penjing

Post  JimLewis on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Some of the trees. Many Chinese elms!

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:42 pm

An elm or two more.

My notes say this is Cotoneaster, but it may be moe elms.

Murraya.

And, finally, Pyracantha.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ume on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Lovely pictures Jim! I really like the third one, its a total inspiration!!

Ume cat

Ume

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Nice pictures. My favourite was number three on your second post. But I think it would be nicer (to me) with a different table/ground.
If I had the space for it, making miniature landscapes with trees would be even more fun than bonsai for itself.
Must have been a great trip!

Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss;
Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Jim... I love the Chinese-style, too, both for bonsai & stones. What I regret is anyone dissing other cultures' options as lacking. The quality here stands on its own. I guess David Easterbrook will soon be in your neck-of-the-woods for the Carolina Expo. He has had opportunity to work with varied material from many sources & should be a treat.

I've occasionally heard of Chinese trees in North American collections referenced as trained in Japanese style. Sometimes its true though curators work desparately to train & invite native artists to participate in keeping the trees authentic to donor intention.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 pm

One more I forgot to include -- a large cascade -- another Chinese elm. No way to get a better background.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum