Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why WHy Why!!?

+4
fiona
Russell Coker
bonsaisr
Jim Doiron
8 posters

Go down

Why WHy Why!!? Empty Why WHy Why!!?

Post  Jim Doiron Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:37 pm

So I have had a hard week. I had a buxus (pretty sure) that I collected from the emergency lane on the side of the highway in march of this year. Yamadori at 65mph. It had fallen off of a landscapers truck having been pulled out the ground but had a good size root ball and it was still pretty cold so I stopped just to check. It looked like it would make a great raft tree and had the base already there. I was looking forward to cutting it back and getting it on it's way. I planted it in the ground and it came back really well, thrived the whole summer of 110 degree heat and then the other day I found it in this state:
Why WHy Why!!? Dsc_0012
Why WHy Why!!? Dsc_0011
Why WHy Why!!? Dsc_0013

I believe it is a bacterial infection so I will just rip it out and get it away from everything else. I found a Pholidoptera griseoaptera-like insect in the plant and suspect it may have something to do with the infection but it would be pure speculation on my part.

THEN, to make my week worse I found a cork bark elm that was in waiting but close to being put into a training bonsai pot (as oppose to a garden container) that had dried out beyond recovery of the leaves and is now leafless and will either leaf out again or die off completely. Mad Mad Mad

So I bought bourbon today...do you think that will cure the bacterial infection and bring back the elm? Very Happy
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Why WHy Why!!? Empty Why? Why? Why?

Post  bonsaisr Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 am

Because the first rule of bonsai is Murphy's Law.
The bourbon might help. drunken
You have my sympathy. I lost one of my best trees this summer, as a side effect of medication. They tried something for glaucoma on me that left me in a fog for three days. I don't know what happened, but the following day the tree was dead.
It happens to all of us.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Why WHy Why!!? Empty Re: Why WHy Why!!?

Post  Jim Doiron Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks for commiserating with me Iris, sorry to hear you lost one of your best that has to be hard. I take some comfort in the fact that I only lost a few potential trees. I too was wiped out by a couple of particularly hard days at work and then going to the art studio at night to get ready for a show opening Oct 3. I would pass the trees on my way in and out giving them a cursory one-eyed glance and felt they were ok, then I got some sleep and realized I had neglected them. The bourbon helped a little but I may have to try again tonight drunken
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:03 am

Jim,

First, that's not a Buxus. Looks like our native gallberry - Ilex glabra.

And I think your problems are not likely to be insect or fungal, but more likely heat, lack of water and bad timing. Don't beat yourself up too badly, elms are tough and it may surprise you.. I hope so, at least.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks for the id on it, I never was sure. I thought it was a water issue myself but it was pretty well watered and survived the highest heat over the summer. The other clue (I think) is that it is dying from (on the leaves and the plant as a whole) the center out as appose to the tips in (which I always understood to be how plants showed stress from lack of water). It is also dying in sections and not on the whole. half of the plant still looks good even though it was evenly watered.

The core of the elm seems to have come back, I will wait to see if it leafs out. Rolling Eyes
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 am

Good luck with it Jim. As has been said already, it may yet surprise you. I am still waiting to see if the browning at the end of the foliage on one of my favourite junipers is merely a blip or if it is fatal. I also have a trident maple which has struggled all summer after our poor winter of 2009. Hopefully both will make full recoveries, but it is at this point we realise that we are merely the custodians no matter how much we think we have "tamed" our trees. Ma Nature will always win - we just have to learn to live with that fact.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Why WHy Why!!? Empty why why why

Post  moyogijohn Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 pm

FIONA,I am sorry about your bad luck with those trees!!! I hope they will be better befor cold sets in..I have tried to reach you about some of mine,,guess you have been too busy..check on the elm for sure I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THEM.. Good luck john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Jim, you also have to consider that the Buxus/Ilex/whatever was certainly in shock when you found it and all the apparent growth over the summer may only have been the reserve energy it had stored up before being ripped out of the ground.

I bet your elm will be OK
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Why WHy Why!!? Empty why why why

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 pm

JIM,,I am so sorry I did not read who made the post when I made the comment..I thought it was Fionas as I had been trying to reach her...anyway you are a lot closer to me so I would still like to know how the trees are doing??? IS the elm going to be ok?? I am a lover of elm trees I have 6 chinese elms in the back yard..I really hope they both get well..sorry again for misreading..good luck john in w.va.

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:09 am

Jim, that's a good point that I hadn't really thought of since it was doing so well this summer. I think you are right on the the elm, I had one that I did this to years ago and it came back just fine.

John, no problem at all, I deduced that much and didn't have a chance to make you aware of it before your second email. I think the elms will be alright as long as I take care not to water it too much which is difficult with 97 degree days in September?!!
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 am

fiona wrote: ... ... I am still waiting to see if the browning at the end of the foliage on one of my favourite junipers is merely a blip or if it is fatal. ... ...
Similar problem with my azalea. Brown tips and then those leaves fall. And the story goes on since end of July.... However the azalea looks ok for the time being.

Jim Doiron wrote: ... ... I take care not to water it too much which is difficult with 97 degree days in September?!!
Copy this here!

Good luck to our trees! Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Much sympathy from me. I've had more types of problems and far more losses this year than ever before and I'm kinda numb from it. All the problems pple have mentioned and more. Blame it on the heat and move on - life is for the living.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum