Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ant-Layer

5 posters

Go down

Ant-Layer Empty Ant-Layer

Post  -Brent- Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 am

I recently noticed those tiny little blacks ants in and around my three week old air-layer hopeful.
I'm a little uncomfortable about applying an ant poison as one would assume it would reverse the action I am hoping for, by killing any potential roots.
So I'm planning on rather just applying the poison around the base of the tree instead. I've used this poison before in my own garden to good effect so I know the tree will be fine, but I hope the ants don't just spend the rest of the year in their new air-nest. Otherwise I may have to simply redo the layer.

Anyone found a good way to deal with this without jeopardising the layer?

Thanks
Stickman
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Ant-Layer Empty Re: Ant-Layer

Post  63pmp Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:15 am

Ants in a tree are usually feeding on something, aphids or scale or something that secretes food for them. I'd try and see what they are eating or protecting. Your layer is only 3 weeks old, it won't have any roots. Pull it apart and see what the ants are doing. Dismanteling the layer and rebuilding it won't affect the outcome.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:18 pm

I echo Paul's suggestions. Treat the tree for the pests; the ants are "farming". The ants will go away when their food supply is gone. A few ants wont hurt the the tree. After treating the tree with a topical chemical, try moving the tree to a different location on your benches. This may "thwart" the ants. I will also use systemic insecticide after treating with the topical.
I had a similar problem earlier this year and these suggestions worked for me. There are still some ants which are scouting around the benches for food. Good luck!
Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:15 pm

On the other hand, the tree may be leaking a little sweet sap at the layer site. He doesn't tell us what tree he has layered. Ants do not always mean aphids or other secreting bugs.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks guys for your input.

The tree I'm trying to do an air-layer from is called a Melaleuca Bracteata Var. "johannesburg Gold". I cut a branch the other day and it did not leak anything, nor when I did the layer.
I think part of the reason is that the layer is very close to the ground, as it's basically a small second trunk of the tree in question.

I went back this morning and only saw a coupla ants here and there, nothing like a few days ago. I also wasn't able to find anything that they may be feeding on, so I've left it for now and will review in a week.

Out of interest, is it normal to redo layers outside of these sorts of scenario? I always wonder how people know exactly when roots appear, unless seen through clear plastic.

Brent
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 am

I usually wrap my layers in alfoil. Some trees root better in the dark, and it tends to reflect heat so the layer stays cooler if the sun gets onto it. After a couple of months curiosity gets the better of me and I unwrap the alfoil to check how its going, if your careful there is no harm. I usually give the layer a gentle squeeze, like testing fruit at the supermarket to judge how far its rooted. A finger down the top to see if its moist every now and then if I think its dry.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:23 am

A little borax mixed with sugar water placed in plates around the tree will work.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Great, thanks guys.

Brent
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content