Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corectly watering the bonsai

3 posters

Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Corectly watering the bonsai

Post  alexb21 Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey. I have a quick and easy question. I just got my bonsai. So far I watered it with bottled water. Is it ok or it doesn't contain the necessary nutrients for the plant to grow?

I live in the city so it's an indoor bonsai. The alternative would be tapped water but it contains chloride and I don't know if that's healthy for the bonsai either.

P.S.: If you enjoyed responding to this question you could check out my other important question for you: My First Bonsai. Thanks!
alexb21
alexb21

Back to top Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Correctly Watering the Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Welcome to IBC.
I don't know enough about Romania, but I gather in most parts of Europe, tap water is safe for bonsai. If you leave the water in a bucket or watering can overnight, the chlorine will disappear. However, you will also need to provide fertilizer. Any common houseplant fertilizer will do for now. Follow the instructions.
Although you live in an apartment, do you have a balcony, fire escape, window ledge, or someplace where you can put your bonsai outside for the summer? It will be much healthier.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Balcony

Post  alexb21 Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes I have a balcony and I keep my bonsai there. I water it every other day. The balcony faces east so it gets most of the sun from about 9 to 14. I hope it's enough for the tree to stay healthy.
Apart from that, it's warm most of the time in the balcony which is a little worrying since I read that it should be cool during the night. So far I didn't get fertilizer, but I'll buy some first thing on Monday. Regarding this, how far should I use fertilizer?

Thanks for your answer! If you could help me with the post linked in my first article it would be great. I'd be able to find more resources specific for my bonsai if I knew what type it is. Thanks again!
alexb21
alexb21

Back to top Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Re: Corectly watering the bonsai

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I water it every other day.

Don't do it this way. Water it when the soil is dry.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Correctly Watering the Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:16 pm

If your tree is a Ficus, or one of the common tropical bonsai species, it will do fine on an east facing balcony. Leave it out until night temperatures go below 7.2 C. Remember to turn it about once a week so it is lighted evenly.
Most of our tropical bonsai don't care about cool nights.
Follow the directions on the fertilizer package. When you bring the tree in for the winter, keep it right next to the window & fertilize once a month.
See answer to other post.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Corectly watering the bonsai Empty Re: Corectly watering the bonsai

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down