Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different...

+20
Robert Wallace
petit-arbre
kitoi
sulrich
axefleer
Klaudia & Martin
LANCE
rock
graham walker
DWThomas
Dan Barton
prestontolbert
Rob Kempinski
Rob Addonizio
Chris Cochrane
Dale Cochoy
landerloos
irene_b
peter krebs
Stone Monkey
24 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Empty Re: Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different...

Post  Dale Cochoy Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Nice bowls and boxes andy. Do you have a buddy 'boxmaker'?
Let us know how their sales go. I've never had much luck selling tea bowls unless I put a hole in the bottom and sold them as bonsai bowls! Very Happy
I found they are like STONES, no one will buy a nice stone from you unless you are a stone 'expert' and they can brag about it. Ditto with suiban. But, the UK market might be better.
D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Empty Re: Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different...

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Dale

Yes a friend of mine makes the boxes.

I will let you know how well they go here in the UK, I will keep my fingers crossed Wink

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:22 am

Andy-
thumbs up OOOoooOOOooo. Very nice celadon. I'm digging the boxes. I'm with y'all in the teabowl department. Yunomis sell well to the general public, but it takes the perfect customer to buy a chawan. And when that customer comes along they don't want to pay a small price. The teabowl enthusiast doesn't expect to pay less than 80 to 90 USD for a good chawan and 1000 USD for top shelf. I only fire a teabowl every third or fourth firing, but I practice making bowls every week. Thats usually how I start a throwing session. My lesser chawan make great ice cream bowls. lol!
Keep up the good work Andy!
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 am

Preston

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I love the celadon too but it looks even better on a white clay body, its the perfect jade green Very Happy
I must admit I have a huge Chawan/Yunomi fetish at the moment. I love the simplicity of the form and the fact that wabi sabi, as with bonsai must be embodied within the vessel, which opens up a whole scope of ideas and textures. I have a way to go with them yet but I keep on making the little blighters and as with you its the first thing I throw in a throwing session to get me in the zone flower

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:14 am

Hi Andy,
excellent teapots have you done since. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
These pots are not indistinguishable from Japanese.

regards
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Peter

Thank you for the wonderful comment. I have a big smile on my face Embarassed

Also thank you for the information you sent me, very interesting reading, very interesting.

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:51 am

A super addition to your work.....and nicely performed with the boxes!
I personally like the raku one!

Kind regards
Klaudia
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 am

Klaudia

Thanks for your kind comments and support

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  axefleer Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm

ThumbsUp thumbs up
very nice job Andy
axefleer
axefleer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:05 am

Cheers axefleer

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I am blessed that I have tickets to see Ryoji Koie at the Victoria & Albert Museum at the weekend in London see here for more info http://www.galeriebesson.co.uk/koie.html I am sure seeing Koie San at work will inspire the Monkey on his chawan trail. For the time being here are some more humble offerings from the Stone Monkey Kiln. All high fired groggy terracotta with a variety of glazes.

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00110

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00111

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00112

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00113

Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi,

Stone Monkey wrote:I am blessed that I have tickets to see Ryoji Koie at the Victoria & Albert Museum at the weekend in London
wow, that sounds really cool! The new chawans are great too.

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Stefan

I am looking forward to seeing Koie San on Saturday.
Thanks for your kind comments

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:03 am

My good friend Hope was Koie's apprentice for several years. She has stories... Laughing She said that after a firing they would sand and polish the pots for days. Each teabowl would get a couple of hours. The fellow I worked for in Arizona has several. They still look like they could bite! rabbit
I'm very jealous. I would love to meet him someday.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Preston

I am really looking forward to seeing Koie san. Hopefully I might be able to buy a piece of his work, chawan, to add to my collection Very Happy

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Good on ya! I sure can't afford upwards of 700 pounds (1000usd) for a teabowl. If you take the plunge, post an image here! I would sure like to see it. Shocked
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:51 pm

£700 "mhist all cucking fighty" perhaps I won't be buying one then after all Sad

I think I need to win the lottery first Preston Wink

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:"mhist all cucking fighty"
Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused jocolor
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm

Lol

Its from a Two Ronnies sketch from the 70's over here in the UK

Here it is in all its glory.

"Rindercella and her sugly isters lived in a marge lansion. Rindercella worked very hard frubbing sloors, emptying poss pits, and shivelling shot.
At the end of the day, she was knucking fackered. The sugly isters were right bugly astards.. One was called Mary Hinge, and the other was called Betty Swallocks; they were really forrible huckers; they had fetty sweet and fatty swannies.
The sugly isters had tickets to go to the ball, but
the cotton runts would not let Rindercella go.

Suddenly there was a bucking fang, and her gairy fodmother appeared. Her name was Shairy Hithole and she was a light rucking fesbian. She turned a pumpkin and six mite wice into a hucking cuge farriage with six dandy ronkeys who had buge hollocks and dig bicks. The gairy fodmother told Rindercella to be back by dimnlight otherwise, there would be a cucking falamity.

At the ball, Rindercella was dancing with the prandsome hince when suddenly the clock struck twelve. "Mist all cucking frighty!!!" said Rindercella, and she ran out tripping barse over ollocks, so dropping her slass glipper.

The very next day, the prandsome hince knocked
on Rindercella's door and the sugly isters let him in.. Suddenly, Betty Swallocks lifted her leg and let
off a fig bart. "Who's fust jarted?" asked the prandsome hince. "Blame that fugly ucker over there!!" said Mary Hinge.

When the stinking brown cloud had lifted, he tried the slass glipper on both the sugly isters without success and their feet stucking funk.
Betty Swallocks was ducking fisgusted and gave the prandsome hince a knack in the kickers. This was not difficult as he had bucking fuge halls and
a hig bard on. He tried the slass glipper on Rindercella and it fitted pucking ferfectly.

Rindercella and the prandsome hince were married. The pransome hince lived his life in lucking fuxury, and Rindercella lived hers with a follen swanny!"

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013 I had to go find a smiley that truly expressed the depth of my emotion...
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Preston

Had a fab day with Koie San. Here are a few for your delectation. I will get my movies tied up together and posted on You Tube, I will try get the link upon here asap.

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00210

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00211

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Dsc00212

I was fortunate to be only sat about 3 foot away from this amazing Japanese potter. He had some fantastic techniques in his arsenal and has made a lasting impression on me. Luckily for my bank account Preston he never had any ware for sale Wink

Regards

Andy

Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:17 pm

This last picturereminds me of a 2-day Paul Soldner demo I was at a couple years ago in a local art school.
I was amazed that I never saw him throw a round pot! Very Happy

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 am

Dale

It was just that, not a single engineered round pot made by Koie San. It was a breath of fresh air as my work tends to be engineered Very Happy
I am putting together some video and will have the link up here in a few days

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Amazing!!! cheers
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Even Bonsai Potters like to do something a little different... - Page 3 Empty Koie San Part 1

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

The first of three videos Very Happy hope all you mad potters out there enjoy it

Last edited by Stone Monkey on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next