Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planting things in the pots.

5 posters

Go down

Planting things in the pots. Empty Planting things in the pots.

Post  Storm Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey, was wondering. People show trees that look great with different kinds of moss on the pots, they are as far as I know removed after the shows and only placed there for a limited amount of time.
I get that it has a great deal to do with the circulation of air and water in the pot, and that it has a big difference when it comes to root rot.
But, I have done the bad thing and planted my trees in 100% cat litter, and the water is gone withing few hours in the full sun.
If I plant grass on the top, so it makes a sort of a blanket, does it help? I know it would just suck up a great amount of water from the soil, but I hope it makes up for the water loss by the heat.

OT: I found out why my trees dont have leaved on the lowest branches. Also, I have found several trees out of their boxes and around the garden.
The strings Ive used to secure them with were off.
The damn cat that lives upstairs is eating on the trees!
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Planting things in the pots. Empty Re: Planting things in the pots.

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 pm

No, don't use grass, it has a strong root system that will take even more water and nutrients from the trees. If you want to increase the water holding of your 100% cat litter, try sprinkling peat on the surface and "stirring" it in. I'm guessing that it only looks as if it has dried out. It is a very absorbent material and is probably holding onto some water inside. Are your trees showing any wilting (limp leaves)?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  elroy Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm

The cats may also enjoy digging in the turface. I have found that rose prunings, nice thick thorny pieces, in training pots or on the ground discourages cats.

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 am

Thanks for the replies.
The big one were groing like crazy for some time, but all the leaves dried at the tips. They were all crispy and became brown, but I watered and watered and it sent out branches at 10 inches.
My oak's have leaves on the top, but some dried out, but most are fine. Its at a standstill.
My pine, were getting alot of yellow needles with brown spots. In the last days most of them fell off, and they have opened and showing signs of fresh growth from the cones.
My sageretia were growing, but the branches were hanging alot when I came home from work, and they have a brownish color. But I just put some garden soil on top of the pot, and it looks like it loves it. Ive very carefull when using fertilizing. Havent used much in a while. Just watering it in the mornings and afternoons with a hose. I was afraid of a cold shock, but it doesnt look like they mind it.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Planting things in the pots. Empty Planting Things in Pots

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:43 am

You can leave moss on the soil surface permanently, as long as it is only partly covered. Why are you stingy with the fertilizer? This is the time of year when plants need it most. Garden soil on top may be a poor choice in the long run, as it will sink down and clog the drainage. Most growers with this problem put a layer of long fibered sphagnum moss on the soil surface.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

The problem with something like cat litter is that different products are sold in different places. Hopefully you are looking below the surface at the litter, some of the problems you describe can be from root rot, and wet, poor draining cat litter would kill a tree. Does the cat litter bag tell you the make up of the litter?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down