Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escallonia Flowering

4 posters

Go down

Escallonia Flowering Empty Escallonia Flowering

Post  Ian Young Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:11 pm

I've been waiting patiently for my escallonia to flower this year. It had a pretty hard trim this year and it would appear to have resulted in less flowers. It was more interested in putting our strong extension growth. But nice all the same :-)

Escallonia Flowering Escallonia-June-2010

Escallonia Flowering ESCALLONIA-DEADWOOD

Escallonia Flowering Dscf1511

Escallonia Flowering Dscf1510

Escallonia Flowering Dscf1512

Escallonia Flowering Dscf1513

I've worked on this tree since 2001. A full progression in pics can be found here. Escallonia Progression
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Escallonia Flowering Empty Re: Escallonia Flowering

Post  Hawaiian77 Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Howzit Ian,

Nice work. ThumbsUp I checked out your "Escallonia Progression" and I can see that you put a lot of afford in this tree and it shows. I really like the Jin work. Nice job. thumbs up If I may ask, how big is the base of the trunk?

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Ian...

You have a delicate touch in your approach of deadwood... it's truly lovely. I've never seen this species before so I had to spend some time 'googling' it. Very well done!

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks Tim.

It measures 12 inches across at its widest point and the main girth of the tree is 22 inches around. I just popped out with a measuring tape :-)

Victrinia,

Thanks for your kind comments. The Deadwood has been worked on slowly over the years. With so many heavy branches being removed it takes a while for the tree to figure out the best paths for sap flow. I was lucky with this one as it gave me three separate veins.
Escallonia isn't used much for bonsai. Tony Tickle has his big one that makes my one look shohin size! There was one in the Gingko Award back in 2001 that inspired me to dig this one out of the garden. If there's any more out there, I'd love to see them.

I've been thinking about a possible change of front to improve the tree. It would be nice to see more deadwood contrasting with the live veins. Here are a few options. I'd love hear your thoughts.

This one has two veins coming together then splitting again. The foliage would need a major reworking.
Escallonia Flowering ESCALLONIA-ANGLE-2

I quite like this too. I would extend the pad of foliage on the right giving a bigger platform for flowering. It also gives a clearer view of the deadwood.
Escallonia Flowering ESCALLONIA-ANGLE-3
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Very nice Ian.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Ian...

#2 is my favorite... you can see the deadwood....the taper.... and the trunkline. Excellent view. The first view is a little too dead on for me with the dead wood... There is no play in the live veins... the second view only shows one, but it has a seductive movement in relationship to the deadwood... as it should. Very Happy

If you do change the front... I do hope you'll post it. Smile

But any way you slice it... it's just a beautiful tree.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down