Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Dutch

+2
Victrinia Ridgeway
fiona
6 posters

Go down

Going Dutch Empty Going Dutch

Post  fiona Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 am

We have had the conversations aplenty about how trees, when you see them in "real life" rather than on the forum, sometimes look a bit less attractive than as they appear in the two-dimensional image or they look significantly better.

On Sunday I had the enormous pleasure of visiting Ed van der Reek's splendid garden and I have to say that Ed's trees most certainly fall into the latter category. I have always admired his Euonymus, his Cotinus and of course his award-winning chamaecyparis, but to see them up close and personal was indeed a pleasure. Not to forget the rest of his stunning collection - covering a fair range of sizes and forms. One of the quieter members on here (well, at least he is compared to the big, hairy Dutchman), Ed's obvious talent for bonsai was clearly visible. (IMHO that latter is something we don't often recognise in many of our forum posters as people tend only to post the tree they are currently working on so we miss the bigger picture.)

Thanks for a great afternoon pottering about the garden, Ed, and the yamadori spotting expedition, oops sorry, the dog walking trip to the Rhoon "swamp" was great too. A few pics hastily snapped on my little point and shoot travel camera so they're not anywhere near the quality of Ed's pics.

Going Dutch Img_0210

The Euonymus carefully photographed by Ed's wife Fabiana so that neither his belly nor my butt looked big in it!

Going Dutch Img_0211

Chuhin sized Berberis in training

Going Dutch Img_0212

Smashing Pine shohin in a Klika pot ( think. Ed?)

Going Dutch Img_0213

Overview of one end of Ed's display, featuring the chamaecyparis and the raft he posted a couple of months ago.

More later.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Going Dutch Empty Going Dutch

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:52 am

You both look like you've tried some of those cakes I was talking about. Glad you had a good trip and Ed's garden looks fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Going Dutch Empty Re: Going Dutch

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:12 am

Fiona... I'll come visit you, you come visit me... and we'll have a grand time looking at great trees. Very Happy Though I suspicion I might get the better end of the deal. Very Happy

Thanks for sharing the visit with us....

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:37 am

G'day Fiona...

What a wonderful experience that had to be...visiting Ed's garden. Looks like you could have spent three days there, and still missed something.

And Ed...What a marvelous collection...

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Fiona,
I had no idea that you were going to visit my friend Ed's garden? if I would have known, you would have been more than welcome to have a peak at my trees and garden as well! I live less than 30 min away from Ed place!
Although it probably is better you did not, this time around, my garden and trees and me are not at it's best at this moment. Because of my ongoing back problems, I just haven't been able to do much work lately! So we will keep this for the next time you visit "HOLLAND" tatataa, "HOLLAND" tatataaaa!
I am glad to hear you enjoyed Ed's work and company, he is a nice and talented guy! He only needs a bigger garden!! Very Happy Very Happy Just like I do!!! Laughing Laughing
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:59 am

I see Ed's garden got much more stuffed with bonsai since my last visit. ThumbsUp
Fiona I'm sure jou injoyed his garden. Who wouldn't.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Hans. I did ask Ed if you lived near by and he said he'd never heard of you!

That's actually a complete fabrication. He was very very complimentary about you (apart from one or two belly size comparisons). Sadly I didn't have much time to spare on the trip as it was for another purpose altogether.

And anyway, if you hadn't all been going daft about 22 men kicking a stupid bit of round plastic about a bit of turf, you'd all have seen my post about who lived where in the Netherlands so I could come and visit. Then you'd all have been able to boast and brag and blow your own vuvuzelas about your trees to me. Evil or Very Mad Very Happy Laughing

Loved what I saw of NL. I'll be back have no doubt, and Hans - you're top of the visiting list. Get the beers ready. Decent ones - not that Heineken or Amstel p**s
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi all,thanks for those kind words Very Happy
And Fiona,it was a pleasure to have you in my garden cheers
We look very slim on the photo after all the Brownies and chocolate we eat affraid lol!
And if you go to the next coming Noelanders trophy,I will take the willow with me I promised to you thumbs up
And Nik,it is always nice to meet you and other IBC members from different countries to visit my tiny garden cheers
Every one is welcome,who is next Very Happy
Greetings Ed
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down